By Jo Jeffries. Updated 4th July 2022. Welcome to our guide on tummy tuck negligence claims. In it, we explain to those who’ve had a tummy tuck gone bad how they could get compensation for the harm they’ve suffered from a botched tummy tuck. We give guidance on signs of a bad tummy tuck and how much compensation you could receive if you’ve suffered in this manner, offering insight into compensation payouts for a tummy tuck gone wrong in 2022. Plus, we answer questions of ‘how long do you have to claim for a tummy tuck gone wrong?’ and where to get help after a botched or bad tummy tuck.
Have you been the victim of a tummy tuck gone wrong?
If you have been the victim of tummy tuck negligence, you may rightly be thinking about making a personal injury claim. From bad tummy tuck scars to severe stomach pain, there are many things that can go wrong with this procedure. At Accident Claims, we have helped many people launch tummy tuck negligence claims for a tummy tuck gone wrong.
You can reach us on 0800 073 8801 to discuss your case if you’ve noticed signs of a bad tummy tuck and have had this confirmed. But, before you do so, continue reading to find out more about this type of claim.
Select a section
- A Guide To Claiming For Tummy Tuck Negligence Claims
- What Is A Tummy Tuck?
- Tummy Tuck Risks
- The Most Common Problems Following A Tummy Tuck
- What To Do If You Have Tummy Tuck Problems
- Steps To Take If Something Goes Wrong
- Do You Have A Case For Compensation If Your Tummy Tuck Has Gone Wrong?
- Can You Claim If You Are Not Happy With The Results?
- Claims For Severe Scars After A Tummy Tuck
- DVT Compensation Claims
- Tummy Tuck Infection Claims
- How Long Do You Have To Claim For A Tummy Tuck Gone Wrong?
- What Damages Can I Claim For When Making A Tummy Tuck Negligence Claim?
- How Much Compensation For Tummy Tuck Negligence Claims?
- No Win, No Fee Botched Tummy Tuck Negligence Claims
- Why Choose Accident Claims UK To Help With Tummy Tuck Negligence Claims
- Contact Our Team Today To Begin Tummy Tuck Negligence Claims
- Useful Links
A tummy tuck surgery, which is also referred to as Abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that improves the shape of a person’s abdomen/tummy area. It involves tightening the abdominal muscles as well as removing fat and excess loose skin. A tummy tuck is designed to get rid of those stubborn fat areas that cannot be removed via exercise.
It is not deemed a quick weight loss fix nor is the procedure typically available via the NHS because it is deemed to be cosmetic surgery. The average cost in the UK is around £4,500 to £6,000. You should carefully check the credentials of the surgeon carrying out the procedure to reduce the risk of something going wrong.
As is the case with many cosmetic procedures, there are a number of tummy tuck risks worth knowing about. Some of the signs of a bad tummy tuck could include:
- Suboptimal aesthetic result
- Inappropriate scarring
- Swelling that will not go down
- Skin discolouration
- Fat necrosis
- Changes in skin sensation, such as numbness
- Poor wound healing
- Skin loss
- Fluid accumulation
- Anaesthesia risks
What are the signs of a bad tummy tuck and what can go wrong with tummy tucks? While most tummy tuck procedures occur without problem, there are a number of things that can go wrong which could be due to medical negligence on the part of a surgeon. Some of the most common problems are as follows:
- Abdominoplasty complications seroma, which is when fluid collects around the abdomen wound
- Puckering of the skin around the incision scar line
- Pain in the stomach area that persists
- Avoidable scarring
- Loss of sensation in the affected area due to nerve damage
- Deformity of the skin contouring. This is because the excess tissue has not been sufficiently removed
- Incorrect repositioning of the belly button
Sometimes, the results of cosmetic surgery are not what was expected. If so, the first thing to do is contact the clinic. You should do this especially if you are suffering unexpected symptoms and/or pain. Talk to the surgeon who treated you if you feel the procedure was not carried out correctly. Or, you are not happy with the results.
Should I report a botched tummy tuck?
There are a number of things you could do if you’ve experienced tummy tuck complications. You should first seek medical advice if you’re suffering pain or suspect an infection. This is primarily to ensure you get the right advice and treatment. However, if you’re looking to make a compensation claim, there are some additional steps you might want to take.
How to prove a claim for a tummy tuck gone wrong
You may want to start gathering evidence relating to your botched tummy tuck and the negligence that caused it. Some examples of what you could do include:
- Gathering all the details about the surgery. This may mean asking for your notes from the clinic that treated you. You should also keep letters and any other details the clinic has sent to you.
- Getting photographic evidence. You could take photos directly after surgery, and then throughout the recovery process. That way, you should have a good visible picture of how you have healed and what’s gone wrong.
- Writing your own report. If you write down everything that has happened and how you’ve suffered, this could also provide evidence of what you’ve been through.
- Keeping other documents related to costs and losses. These could be payslips that show loss of income, bank statements, bills and receipts. This can help you claim special damages as part of your claim.
- Speaking to a legal professional. We would strongly urge you to take legal advice if you’ve experienced signs of a bad tummy tuck that a doctor has confirmed. We could help you with free legal advice and our solicitors work on a No Win No fee basis.
Yes, people can make surgery compensation claims for a tummy tuck gone wrong due to medical negligence. However, you will need to prove that the medical company failed in their duty of care towards you.
This depends on the results of the tummy tuck. If a poor job was carried out, or mistakes were made and this has caused psychological injuries, you may be able to claim for a botched tummy tuck. If you were simply expecting better results than you received, you may not be able to.
Undergoing a tummy tuck procedure will often result in a scarring injury. However, you would only have the basis for a claim if the scarring is much more excessive than what you were led to believe.
Not all scarring may lead to a claim, as scarring is common for surgical procedures. However, if you have unusual, disfiguring, or abnormal scarring caused by a botched tummy tuck, you could potentially claim compensation if caused by negligence. To find out more, get in touch with us today.
DVT stands for deep vein thrombosis. This is one of the risks associated with a tummy tuck. Your medical history must be carefully considered to determine whether or not you have a greater risk of developing DVT – a blood clot. If this has not been taken into account, you could claim compensation for surgical errors.
If you have contracted an infection after having a tummy tuck because of poor practices, or poor hygiene at the clinic in question, there is a very high chance you could be entitled to compensation.
Infections are just one example of tummy tuck complications you may experience after a tummy tuck has gone wrong. An infection could cause serious issues to the surgical site and lead to long-lasting sickness.
Call us today to find out whether you could make botched tummy tuck claims for infections.
How long you could have to claim for a tummy tuck gone wrong is something you may be wondering. The usually personal injury claims time limit of 3 years could apply from the date of the incident or, it could be from the date you became aware that you suffered harm from medical negligence.
There are exceptions however. If you want to know how much time you have to take action, please call our team. We would be happy to assess your case, to see if you could claim.
When making tummy tuck negligence claims, one of the main things you want to know is how much compensation you are going to be entitled to. We are going to give you a helping hand by giving you a breakdown of how compensation is calculated.
First and foremost, it is pivotal to know that compensation is actually split into two parts. The first head of claim is general damages, which is the amount of money you will get for the injuries you sustained through the negligence of a surgeon. This is calculated using the medical report that is provided by a doctor, and so it is based on the injuries you have suffered, the extent of them, and the impact they are going to have on your daily life.
The other part of compensation is something a lot of people are not aware of, and this is special damages.
What are special damages?
This is the amount of money you are going to receive to compensate you for all of the costs you have encountered because of your injuries. To help you get a better understanding of special damages and the type of things you can claim for, let’s take a look at some of the most common:
- Medical expenses – needless to say, you are likely to have some medical expenses to attend to, whether it is the cost of your prescription or the treatment you have undergone. You could be entitled to claim for these
- Loss of earnings – if you have been left unable to work while you recover, you may be able to claim for any loss of income you have encountered
- Childcare costs – if you have had to seek help in terms of looking after your children while you recover, you could also be able to claim for this
- Travel expenses – travelling to and from the hospital can be expensive and you may be able to claim the expenditure back
How much compensation will I get for a tummy tuck gone wrong? Unfortunately, it is impossible to say without knowing the ins and outs of your case. But, one thing you should be aware of is the fact that compensation is split into two parts – general damages and special damages.
The former is for your suffering while the latter is for any out-of-pocket expenses you have incurred, such as prescription costs and loss of income.
If you would like a more specific estimate, you can give us a call. Please don’t rely on a personal injury claims calculator, as these only ever give an extremely rough estimate. The best way to get a good understanding is to refer to the table below, which shows the average payout for various injuries relating to a botched tummy tuck. These figures are taken from the Judicial College Guidelines.
|The type of injury you have suffered||Some extra notes||The typical payout for this injury|
|Psychiatric Damage||Severe||£54,830 to £115,730|
|Psychiatric Damage||Moderately Severe||£19,070 to £54,830|
|Psychiatric Damage||Moderate||£5,860 to £19,070|
|Psychiatric Damage||Less Severe||£1,540 to £5,860|
|Some scarring on Other Parts of the person||One scar that is noticeable or a number of littler scars||£2,370 to £7,830|
|Some scarring on Other Parts of the person||A number of noticeable laceration scars||£7,830 to £22,730.|
|Scarring (abdominal)||Where a laperotomy left scars but no injury was found||In the region of £8,640|
|Some scarring on Other Parts of the person||Large number of scars or one disfiguring one||£7,830 to £22,730|
|Mental Anguish||Fearing you were about to die||£4,670|
Call us for further guidance
Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of the level of compensation for signs of a bad tummy tuck or surgery gone wrong you could be entitled to. However, if you cannot find the injury that you have sustained in the table above, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us for more information on botched tummy tuck compensation payouts.
When it comes to making a claim for signs of a bad tummy tuck, there is no doubt that one of the biggest hurdles is the cost that is traditionally associated with solicitors. A lot of people are worried about making a claim because they fear that it is going to be too expensive. Not only this but there is always the risk that they could end up spending huge sums of money and then the personal injury solicitor may lose their case. These are all understandable concerns. However, it does not need to be this way.
There is no need to fret about the huge risk and costs associated with making a claim, as there is a solution, and this is to use the services of a No Win No Fee personal injury lawyer. This is a solicitor that agrees that you will only need to pay legal fees if their case is a success. So, let’s take a look at the key benefits associated with going down this route.
Benefits of No Win No Fee
- Financial risk minimised. As mentioned earlier, if you go for a solicitor that charges by the hour, there is always a risk. You could spend money and then the solicitor could lose your case. With a No Win No Fee service, you have the peace of mind that this will not occur. You will not pay any legal fees if your solicitor does not secure compensation for you
- No huge upfront payment. Another benefit associated with a No Win No Fee service is that you will not be required to make a big payment upfront. This is a hurdle that often stops a lot of people from making a claim when it comes to using the services of a traditional solicitor
- You’re guaranteed a good level of service. This payment structure often leads to a better service. It is because the solicitor in question is impacted by the outcome of your case, as their pay is performance-related. Therefore, you can rest assured that they are going to be putting in all of the necessary hard work. They want to give you the greatest chance of getting the money you deserve
- An honest approach. Last but not least, you can be confident that a No Win No Fee solicitor is going to be honest with you. If they do not think that your case is strong enough, they will tell you. They are not going to waste your time. After all, they do not have anything to gain by simply taking on any case irrespective of the strength of it
Getting help with your claim
Here at Accident Claims, we are proud to say that all of our panel solicitors work to the No Win No Fee payment agreement. You will always experience the benefits mentioned above when you make a claim via our service.
If this sounds appealing to you, get in touch today. You can find out more about claiming with us after a botched tummy tuck.
Have you been involved in an accident caused due to a tummy tuck gone wrong? If so, there is a very high chance that you are going to be eligible for personal injury compensation. If you are thinking about making a claim, one of the most critical things you must do is select a premium quality law company. Luckily, you have come to the right place, as that is exactly what you have with Accident Claims. Read on to find out why we are the best choice for you.
- We are experienced – we have a huge degree of experience in the industry. Our solicitors have been working in personal injury law for many years, and have successfully helped thousands of personal injury victims to secure the money they deserve. Therefore, when you choose our service, you can be sure that you are in safe hands. After all, we are bound to have worked on cases like yours before.
- No Win No Fee service – all of our solicitors work to a No Win No Fee payment structure, which means that you do not need to make a huge upfront payment to start the claim process, and also you are only going to pay legal fees if your case is a success. As the cost of the claim is related to the outcome, the financial risk is reduced by a significant degree. This also assures you of a much better service, as we will give your case the attention it deserves
- We have an impeccable reputation – once you start browsing our website, you will notice that we have an exceptional reputation in the industry. You can read the reviews that have been left by some of our past customers, and we are sure this will put your mind at ease
If you have been injured, why wait? Give Accident Claims a call today to begin the process of getting the compensation you are entitled to. We have an outstanding reputation in the industry as one of the country’s leading law firms, and all of our solicitors work to a No Win No Fee payment agreement.
Call us today on 0800 073 8801. This is our personal injury claim line, which is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day, so you can call at a time that is convenient for you. You can also get in contact via our live chat for instant answers.
We hope you have found this guide useful on your quest to discover more information about signs of a tummy tuck gone wrong and tummy tuck negligence claims. If you require more assistance regarding a botched tummy tuck, the links below may assist.
This takes you to our guide on medical negligence in general. You will find plenty of information on these sorts of claims, including how to launch a claim for a botched tummy tuck and how much compensation you may receive.
This takes you to the NHS page on tummy tuck procedures. You will find out plenty of information about this procedure, including costs, recovery time, risks, signs of a botched tummy tuck and much more.
This takes you to the NHS page on plastic surgery procedures. You will find out plenty of information about the risks, complications, and techniques used, plus much more.
This is a guide to claiming compensation after a hospital has treated you negligently.
Tummy Tuck Gone Wrong And Tummy Tuck Negligence Claims FAQs
What are common signs of a bad abdominoplasty?
There are a few common signs of a bad tummy tuck that might prompt you to seek medical attention, such as:
- Position of your belly button
- Severe scarring
Please note there are several risks to tummy tuck surgery. In some cases, these post-surgical symptoms may not be the result of a medical professional acting negligently.
If you have had problems with your abdominoplasty, please call our team. We could assess your case to see if you have a valid medical negligence claim.
Do I need an abdominoplasty?
Usually, an abdominoplasty may not be considered a medically necessary procedure.
However, many people choose to have tummy tucks due to loss of confidence in their body image.
How can I find out if I could claim for a botched tummy tuck?
If, after reading this guide, you would like to know if you could be eligible for compensation, we could help. Our expert team could talk to you about your experience.
They could conduct a free eligibility assessment. This comes with no obligation to use our services. However, should you wish to go ahead and make a claim, we could provide you with a No Win No Fee solicitor.
Would a doctor be struck off for a botched tummy tuck?
If you have evidence that medical negligence occurred resulting in you sustaining further or avoidable harm after a botched tummy tuck, you could report it to the relevant authorities. The doctor may face a suitable penalty if they are found to have acted negligently.
I’ve had a tummy tuck gone wrong – is this the most regularly performed surgery?
If you want to know what the most commonly performed cosmetic surgeries are, the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons provides statistics on this. According to their figures, the number of plastic surgeries carried out for 2020-21 was 15,405, which was a fall of 27% from the previous year.
This graphic shows what types of procedures were most common. As you can see, there has been a 5% increase in the number of abdominoplasty surgeries carried out.
I’ve had a tummy tuck gone wrong – would keeping an injury diary help my tummy tuck negligence claims?
Sometimes, it could be useful to keep an injury diary if you’ve suffered a botched tummy tuck. This could include diary entries relating to the date you had the surgery, as well as the signs of a tummy tuck gone wrong you suffered afterwards. You could include details of how you felt on any given day too after your botched tummy tuck. As well as this, you could record the things you’ve not been able to do because of the negligence you’d suffered.
This could include not being able to attend social events. Or, even the time you’ve had off work while recovering from the untoward effects of a tummy tuck gone wrong. Lastly, you could include some details of hospital or doctor’s appointments. Plus, other costs you’ve incurred for things like prescription fees, transport to see your lawyer and more. All this could build a bigger picture of how your life has been since you had the tummy tuck gone wrong.
How common is clinical negligence?
We don’t have figures relating to how much compensation was paid out specifically for tummy tuck issues. However, we can show you the number of clinical negligence payouts that were made in 2020-21. These figures are from NHS Resolution.
We think you’ll agree that this is a significant amount of money.
Where can I obtain guidance on compensation payouts for a tummy tuck gone wrong in 2022?
You can obtain some guidance on 2022 compensation payouts for a tummy tuck gone wrong by looking at our compensation table. The figures in the table come from the Judicial College Guidelines’ 16th edition. This was released in April 2022. However, don’t forget that this table is only a rough guide. It may not include the psychological impact of your injury, or the financial losses and costs associated with it. If you would like further guidance as to how much you could claim for a botched tummy tuck, please call the team.
How long would a claim for a tummy tuck gone wrong take?
The length of time it could take for a tummy tuck gone wrong claim to reach a settlement could depend on a few factors. If, for example, the third-party immediately accepts liability, and offers a fair settlement, the case could be settled relatively quickly. However, if they dispute liability or claim your injuries are not as bad as you say, this could take longer.
Should I accept the first offer of compensation for a botched tummy tuck?
If you are offered compensation for a botched tummy tuck, you could obtain legal advice prior to accepting a settlement. A legal professional could offer you some insight into whether the amount offered could be considered fair. Or, whether you could fight for more compensation. If you would like free legal advice on making a claim for a tummy tuck gone wrong, please call our team today.
How long does it take to recover from a botched or bad tummy tuck?
How long it takes to recover from a botched or bad tummy tuck could vary. Your recovery could depend on the severity of your initial injury, and whether any surgery has been needed. Furthermore, if you get an infection, this could affect your recovery after a tummy tuck gone bad.
You should seek medical attention for information on the recovery time for a tummy tuck.
We hope this guide to tummy tuck negligence claims has been helpful to you. If you’ve had signs of a bad tummy tuck gone wrong, we could assist you in claiming botched tummy tuck compensation. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch.