How much compensation can I claim against the council local authority?

By Joanne Jeffries. Last Updated 1st October 2021. Welcome to our guide on local authority compensation claims and council accident compensation claims. Have you been injured in an accident that was not your fault? Do you think the council could be to blame and want to claim against the council? A council could be responsible for the area in which you were injured, be it at a local school, while taking a walk, or while working at local council offices.

When could I claim against the council?

From trips and falls to vehicle accidents, there are so many incidents and injuries that can happen. With our 40+ years of experience, there is no one better to secure you the compensation you deserve. We have helped many people in your position make council compensation claims, and we are certain there is no one better to help you attain the maximum payout on offer. To find out more about council accident claims, you can read on or call us for legal advice on 0800 073 8801.

Choose a section

A guide to claims against the council or local authority

local authority compensation claims

local authority compensation claims

In this guide, we will tell you everything you need to know about council accident compensation claims and local authority accident compensation claims.

If you have been injured as members of the public while walking on a pavement that’s deemed council property or while in a council-controlled public space, and the accident was not your fault, there is every chance you will be entitled to compensation via making a public liability to claim. But how do you go about seeking it? How much compensation for a fall or trip accident? What evidence to support your claim do you need to gather?

This guide will reveal the answers to those questions and much more relating to council accident claims. You will also find our contact information at the end of the guide should you still have questions about council compensation claims or if you wish to begin the process of making a No Win No Fee claim.

What is a claim against the council or local authority?

Local authority compensation claims could be made by those who suffer injury due to the council’s negligence in making places safe that the local council is responsible for.  You could claim for the injury as well as compensation for costs you incur as a result.

If you’ve been injured in an accident, and you feel that your local authority or council is to blame, you could be eligible for compensation. This could be injuries that have been sustained due to a pothole in your local area or due to an accident that happened while in a council-controlled space such as a public park.

If you’re unsure whether the council is liable for the area in question, this is something we can easily help you to determine. Nevertheless, in most cases, if it is not private or commercial land, it will be the council or local authority’s responsibility. This means that any accidents that occur in these spaces as a result of negligence could be subject to local authority compensation claims.

Council compensation claims statistics

The Compensation Recovery Unit (CRU) works to recover benefits paid for an accident or injury in cases where the injured person has also been paid compensation. Because of this, the CRU data doesn’t cover all claims for compensation made against a council or local authority, but we can look at the information provided by them to get an idea of how prevalent local authority compensation claims are.

As we can see from the graph below using data provided by the CRU, there’s been a slight decline in the number of public liability cases registered with the CRU since 2011.  It’s important to note, however, that these statistics relate to all public liability cases registered with CRU and isn’t just related to council accident claims.

council accident claims statistics graph

Council accident claims statistics graph

When considering accident at work claims made against the council, there are a variety of different sectors that we can look at. One of these is the waste management sector. As revealed in statistics released by HSE, non-fatal injuries to waste management workers in the public sector accounted for 44% of all non-fatal injuries to waste management workers from 2015-2020, despite the fact that public sector employees accounted for only 30% of employment in waste management.

It’s important to note that the statistics detailed in the graph above are related to all injuries in this sector and not just the ones related to negligence.

Our next section will take a closer look at the steps that should be taken in council accident claims. If you have any further questions about claims against the council for personal injury, don’t hesitate to give us a call; we’ll be happy to answer them for you.

The steps you need to take if you have been involved in a local authority or council accident

If you want to make a claim against the council or local authority, you will have to support your claim by gathering evidence. Here are some key steps to take:

  • Going to see a doctor – There is only one place to begin, and this is by going to the hospital for your injuries. Even if your injuries are minor, please make sure you see a doctor. Of course, this is critical for your health, but also for your claim too. Without a professional medical report, you are going to really struggle to make a compensation claim.
  • Get witness contact details – Did anyone witness the accident? If so, get their contact information. Their account will really help to strengthen your case.
  • Take photographs – If there is any visible damage at the scene or your injuries are visible, you should take photographs.
  • Keep a record of what happened – It is important to make a note of what happened, as well as keeping a record of all expenses you have encountered due to your injuries. Keep any proof of these costs too.

Read on to find out more about the kinds of local authority accident compensation claims that can be made.

Common injuries people suffer because of local council negligence

There are many different types of council accident compensation claims for personal injury that can be launched, as many different accidents and injuries do happen. We have helped many to make local authority accident compensation claims due to damage and potholes, as well as launching claims for road traffic accidents.

Let’s take a look at some of the most common council compensation claims below:

  • Injuries due to poor maintenance – This could be anything from burns due to faulty pipes at council premises to a head injury because of a piece of school playground equipment breaking.
  • Car accidents – When the council is responsible, this is usually due to traffic light malfunctions or potholes.
  • Workplace injuries – From inadequate training to poor maintenance, there are many reasons why council employees could end up being injured.
  • Slips, trips, and falls – Claims for slip, trip or fall compensation are undoubtedly some of the most popular. This could be caused due to uneven pavement repair or inadequate signage by roadworks.

To find out more about the council accident claims process, please read on, or contact Accident Claims today for more information on local authority compensation claims.

Making a claim for compensation when the local authority or council is to blame

In order to make a claim against the local authority or council, you need to prove that they are to blame for your incident. This involves, firstly, showing that they are responsible for the area in question, be it a school, park, or anywhere else.

Secondly, you need to prove that their actions resulted in your suffering, for example, they may not have maintained pavements to the standard required, or they could have ignored health and safety warnings.

To find out more about claims against the council for personal injury following slip, trip and fall accidents, read on to our next section. Alternatively, get in touch with our helpful team for more information on council compensation claims.

How to claim against the council pavement for a slip, trip or fall incident

We often work on slip, trip or fall claims. There are many different ways such cases can occur. Perhaps you tripped due to a pothole in the road? Maybe you fell because there was not adequate signing warning you about roadworks?

No matter what applies, so long as the accident was not your fault, all you need to do is give us a call and we will handle everything for you. Contact us to find out more about council accident compensation claims after slips, trips and falls, or read on to find out more about council accident claims.

How to sue the council for negligence

You may be wondering how to sue the council for negligence, as it can often seem like a complex procedure, but it does not need to be this way. So long as you work with a reputable and reliable claims company, they will be able to handle everything for you in a quick and efficient manner.

All you need to do is make sure you follow our advice regarding gathering evidence, and we will do all of the rest for you. We have over 40 years of experience in launching successful council compensation claims, and so we know exactly how to handle claims against the council for personal injury. If you have any questions at all about council accident compensation claims we’ll be happy to answer them for you; just give us a call to find out more about how we can help. 

You may be wondering what the local authority compensation claims process is if you’re employed by the council. If so, our next section will be of interest to you. 

Making a claim if you are an employee of the local council

You can make a claim against the council if you are an employee. If you feel you have been injured due to workplace negligence, you are well within your rights to seek compensation. We have launched many compensation claims against local councils on behalf of individuals that work for them.

After all, there are numerous ways your employer could be in breach of the health and safety legislation that is in place. This includes inadequate training, failure to carry out risk assessments, and failure to implement suitable safety measures.

You may fear that you are going to end up in trouble with your boss if you make a claim, but this certainly will not be the case. If there were to be any repercussions, you would only end up with further grounds for legal action.

Claims against the council for personal injury can be made where there’s a breach of duty of care. For more information on what a duty of care is, and how to spot when it’s been breached, read our next section. Or if you’d like to get the council accident claims process started today, then just give us a call. 

Claims against the council for personal injury from employees- your employer’s duty of care.

When you’re working for the council, your employer has a duty of care to make sure that you’re able to fulfil your duties with minimal risk of harm, or to your health. This duty of care will look different depending on what kind of industry you work in, but there are some things that every employer should be doing. If an employer fails to adhere to these standards, and employees are injured as a result, this could lead to council compensation claims being levied against the employer.

The Health and Safety at Work Etc. Act 1974 lays out the responsibility that your employer has to make sure that you can do your job safely. They need to make sure that you’ve got a safe working environment and that any hazards to you are identified and either removed or minimized. To ensure this, they should be undertaking regular risk assessments in the workplace. Accidents and injuries resulting from a failure to carry out risk assessments could lead to local authority compensation claims.

If you’re an employee of the council who needs to use equipment or machinery to do your job, then it’s the local authority’s responsibility to make sure that this is functional, safe and well maintained by carrying out regular inspections. Failure to do so could result in claims against the council for personal injury from employees who’ve been injured.

Your employer should also make sure that you and your colleagues all have a sufficient level of training to ensure everyone’s safety in the workplace. This could include being properly trained to use equipment that’s necessary for your role. It might also involve training you on proper lifting techniques to prevent back injury if your role involves a lot of carrying.

The severity of the injuries involved will have a big impact on how council accident claims are handled and how they progress. Have a look at our next section for more information on this.

Judging how severe your local authority or council injury is

When it comes to claims against the council for personal injury compensation, injuries can differ in severity significantly. It is the severity of your injury that will determine how much compensation you receive.

Your original injury will be taken into account, as well as the pain experienced, your prognosis, the future outlook, the treatment that has been recommended, and any medication you have been given. You can also make council accident compensation claims for stress and any other psychological injuries you have sustained.

If you want to know more about the council compensation claims process and how to begin a claim, you’ll find our next section useful. If you’d rather chat with someone about local authority compensation claims and get your claim started today, then don’t hesitate to give us a call. 

How to start your claim for compensation against the council or local authority

If you are thinking about claiming against your local council, the council accident compensation claims process is really easy. All you need to do is get in touch with us, and we will be there for you every step of the way, explaining what is required and helping you to fulfil your requirements.

No matter what type of incident you have been involved in, we will start by having a free, no-obligation consultation with you, where we will get to know your case better. This is nothing to worry about; we are only asking questions so that we can advise you in the best possible manner.

If you are then ready to proceed with making a claim, we will assign you the best No Win No Fee solicitor based on the ins and outs of what has happened. If needed, we can also arrange a medical for you at a health centre that is convenient. Again, this will be at no charge to you. To start your claim today or to find out more about claims against the council for personal injury, get in touch with our team.

What can be claimed for when launching a case against the council or local authority?

In council compensation claims, there are a number of different types of damages you may be awarded.

Firstly, you are going to receive a payout for the pain and suffering you have been subject to. This is known as general damages. It is calculated based on the medical report that has been put together by your doctor.

Secondly, you will receive special damages. This means that you will get a payout for any expenses you have had to fund because of the accident. For example, you could make a claim against the council for car damage or for any counselling costs you have had to pay to get over the trauma of what happened. Loss of income also falls into this category.

If you’d like to know more about whether the losses you’ve experienced would be covered in council accident claims, then get in touch with us today. One of our team of advisers will be happy to go through the details of your claim with you. Alternatively, read on to find out more about what levels of compensation council accident compensation claims could attract. 

How much compensation will you get from the local authority or council? – Updated October 2021

You are probably going to want to know how much money you can get by claiming against the council for damages. In the table below, you will find details regarding the average council compensation payouts for some of the most common injuries people sustain.

If you are looking for a precise figure, i.e. the exact amount you will be awarded if your case is successful, we cannot provide this. In fact, no law firm or professional can. This is because there are so many factors considered when claiming, and every case is different from the next and treated as such.

The reason for claiming compensationThe typical payout amountSome extra comments
Back injury- very minor (iii)Up to £2,300This is for back injuries whereby the claimant makes a complete recovery within one to three months.
Back injury- minor (ii)£2,300 to £7,410This is for back injuries whereby the claimant makes a complete recovery within three months to two years.
Back injury- minor (i)£7,410 to £11,730This is for back injuries whereby the claimant makes a complete recovery within two to five years.
Back injury-moderate (i)£26,050 to £36,390Such cases can include soft tissue injuries, muscle and ligament disturbance, and residual disability of a much lesser severity than the next category.
Back injury- severe (a) £65,440 to £151,070Cases range from disc fractures to the very worst injuries, i.e. nerve root damage and spinal cord damage.
Wrist injury- very minor £3,310 to £4,45This payment is for claimants that have recovered fully within roughly 12 months. Most of these cases involve soft tissue injuries, or minimally displaced / very minor undisplaced fractures.
Wrist injury-moderate £11,820 to £36,770The person will experience a degree of stiffness and persisting pain, yet this is of a lesser degree.
Wrist injury- very severe £44,690 to £56,180This results in injuries whereby the person has experience total loss of function to the wrist.
Ankle injury- modest Up to £12,900This is a less serious, undisplaced or minor fracture, ligamentous injury, or sprain.
Ankle injury- moderate £12,900 to £24,950The claimant will typically have suffered a ligamentous tear or fracture, which will result in a less serious disability. This could mean that the person experiences awkwardness while using stairs or they find it challenging to walk on ground that is not even.
Ankle injury- severe £29,380 to £46,980This is an injury whereby the person has had plates and pins inserted, or they have spent a long period of time in a plaster, or they have needed treatment for an extensive period.
Ankle injury- very severe £46,980 to £65,420Injuries that classify as very severe are unusual and limited. This includes instances of transmalleolar ankle fractures with lots of damage to the soft tissue.

If you cannot find the injury that pertains to your claim in the table that has been provided, please give our friendly team a call for more information on council accident compensation claims.

Read on to find out more about making local authority compensation claims on a No Win No Fee basis, or if you’d like to speak with someone directly about council compensation claims then call us today. 

Making a claim against the council on a No Win No Fee basis

If you have never required legal assistance before, you may not fully understand the No Win No Fee option. Yes, it does do exactly what it says on the tin: if your case is unsuccessful, you won’t need to pay us any legal fees.

However, there are some companies that claim to be No Win No Fee, yet they still implement charges if the claim is unsuccessful. You can be sure this will not be the case when you work with us. When we say No Win No Fee, we mean it.

This payment structure for council compensation payouts also offers a number of other benefits. It makes the law professional working on your claim accountable for the service they provide, as well as putting your mind at ease that your financial situation cannot get worse due to making claims against the council for personal injury.

If you’re wondering why we are the best choice in making council accident claims, read on.

Reasons to use our service to make your claim against the local authority or council

So, what makes our service better than the rest? Well, there are a number of reasons why we believe you should work with us. This includes the fact that Accident Helpline is an accredited law firm, with more than 40 years of experience in the industry.

Because of this strong reputation that we have, we are able to secure quicker payouts. We also operate a 24-hour claims line, and we have outstanding client care ratings. Ask one of our 15,000 followers what they think of us, and we are sure they will put your mind at ease.

We can also support you no matter where in the UK you are based, or what type of personal injury you are suffering from. And, it is always our aim to secure compensation in a manner that is quick and straightforward yet results in the most money in the end.

Contact us today to get started on a claim against the council

We hope you’ve found our guide on local authority accident compensation claims helpful. You can find out in 30 seconds whether you can claim by requesting a call back on our website or by ringing us on 0800 073 8801.

You will speak to one of our trained advisors who will be able to assist you in any manner that is required. If they deem your case one that is eligible for compensation, they will pass you onto a specialist that has experience in the type of claim you are looking to launch, which is, of course, claiming against your local council in this case. This will give you the best chance of securing the maximum payout that is applicable to your case.

Helpful Links relating To A Claim against the Council

Claim compensation for injuries caused by roads or pavements

Lodging a complaint against your council

Making an insurance claim against your council

How to claim compensation for an accident in public 

Claiming for an accident in a shop 

Can I make a claim for a cycling accident? 

Council accident compensation claims- FAQs about making a claim against the council

Can I claim against the council as an employee?

Yes. If your employer has neglected their duty of care to you then you may be able to make a claim for compensation for your injuries, even if you’re employed by the council.

How long after an accident can I claim against the local authority?

The time limits for personal injury claims made against a local authority or council is three years from the date the accident took place.

How much could I receive in a compensation claim against the council?

The compensation award you could be owed will depend on a number of factors, including how severe your injuries were and the value of any special damages associated with your claim.

Can I claim against the council for a car accident?

If you were involved in a car accident that was caused by, for example, poorly maintained roads, then you may be able to claim against the council for your injuries.

What will my compensation claim against the council cover?

As well as general damages for the pain and suffering your injuries have caused you, your claim will also include special damages. These will compensate you for any financial losses you’ve experienced, such as medical costs, travel expenses and loss of earnings for any time taken off work.

Can I claim on someone else’s behalf?

If the injured person is under 18 or lacks the mental capacity to pursue a personal injury claim themselves, then you can claim on their behalf as a litigation friend.

Will I have to pay to make a compensation claim against the council?

With our No Win No Fee service, you won’t be left paying hourly rates for a personal injury solicitor to pursue your claim without the guarantee that you’ll receive a payment at the end. Instead, the solicitors’ fees will be taken from your settlement, and you’ll always be left with the majority of your compensation award.

How can I make sure I’m getting the maximum compensation I deserve after my accident?

The best way to strengthen your compensation claim is to collect as much evidence as possible surrounding the circumstances of your accident. This can consist of photographs of the cause of the accident, statements from people who saw the accident take place and medical records.

You should also hold on to any receipts from expenses you’ve incurred as a result of your injuries so they can be covered by special damages.

Could I make local authority compensation claims for housing disrepair

If you live in local authority housing, the council could be responsible for making your home safe to live in. If your local authority accommodation falls into disrepair, you should report it to them, so that they can take steps to repair the damage. If such disrepair isn’t fixed, despite your reports, it could become unsafe. Disrepair could cause health problems in a number of different ways. For example:

  • Damp and mould could cause you chest problems, which could affect your breathing
  • Faulty gas heating could lead to fires, explosions and even carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Unrepaired water damage could weaken flooring, leading to the floor becoming unsafe

These are just a few of the issues that disrepair in local authority housing could cause. If you believe that you have fallen ill or sustained an injury due to the council’s negligence in making property safe to live in, you could have cause to launch a claim for compensation.

What could I include in housing disrepair claims?

If you intend making a claim against the local council for disrepair, it would be wise to speak to a solicitor to see what you could include in your claim. In some cases, you could include:

  • Replacement of personal possessions destroyed by disrepair
  • Household furnishings damaged or destroyed by disrepair in a council house
  • Damaged or destroyed clothing

You could also claim compensation for the health problems you have suffered or the injury you have sustained because of the disrepair in a local authority property.

Fatal accident claim against the council – what could be the cause?

If your loved one was fatally injured while working for the council, you might wonder whether the accident could have been avoided. If you could prove that a fatal accident happened at work and was not your loved one’s fault, this could lead to you claiming compensation from the council. You would need to provide evidence that the council had failed to adequately protect the safety and health of your loved one, leading to them suffering harm.

According to the HSE’s fatal injury statistics for 2021, 142 people were killed at work in a variety of different industries and occupations. The causes of fatal accidents could vary. The most common causes are illustrated in the graphic below.

What could I include in a fatal accident claim against the council?

Within your fatal accident claim against the council, you could receive compensation for a number of damages. You could claim compensation for your loved one’s suffering and pain before they passed away. You could also receive damages for bereavement and to cover the costs of your loved one’s funeral. In some cases, if you were financially dependent on your loved one, your compensation could include some damages for the loss of financial support. If you’re unsure as to whether you could claim or what you could claim for, please call our team. We would be happy to talk to you about your case and give you the guidance and advice you’re looking for.

Thank you for reading our guide on local authority compensation claims and council compensation claims. We hope to have answered any questions you have relating to council accident claims and making a claim against the council.