How To Claim Compensation For Injuries As A Waiter or Chef? – Find Out Compensation Amounts Guide Serving Staff

By Jo Jeffries. Last updated 20th April 2022. Welcome to our guide to claiming for chef injuries in an accident at work. We also focus part of this guide on waiter and waitress injury compensation, as well as highlighting how we could help restaurant staff claim if they’re injured in a chef accident or waiter and waitress accident due to their employers’ breach of their duty of care to protect their health and safety at work.

Could Waiting Staff Or Chef Injuries Lead to Compensation?

How To Claim Compensation For Injuries As A Waiter chef injuries [anchor, optimise] chef accident waiter and waitress injury compensationRestaurants, kitchens and catering areas are busy places, with plenty of hot surfaces and sharp objects, including knives, glassware and kitchen equipment. Common work injuries in the restaurant industry include slips and trips, burns and cuts (lacerations). Eye injuries are also common from grease and cleaning products. As with any manual job, workplace hazards for waitresses include lifting and straining, as well as the risks associated with long hours of standing. As an employer, restaurant owners have a duty to protect their staff from the risk of such injuries and must have appropriate safety measures in place. In this guide, we’ll look at how to claim compensation for injuries as a waiter or chef.

Injuries may also occur to members of the public eating in or visiting restaurants, whether as a customer, delivery person or supplier. Slips and falls, burns and food poisoning are all potential restaurant liability claims, and restaurant owners and managers have a duty of care to all visitors to their premises, ensuring that their visit is safe and free from accidents. This duty extends to any car park or outside area attached to the restaurant.

Getting help with a waiting staff or chef accident at work

If you have suffered a serving staff injury, a chef injury or any other restaurant injury, or if you are considering making a claim for a catering accident, we can help, and you can find further information below. Our personal injury solicitors are experienced in dealing with restaurant liability claims and catering injury claims and can help you obtain the right compensation. Call us now, free, on 0800 073 8801 or contact us through our website, for advice on your restaurant injury and your potential no win no fee claim for a catering accident.

Select A Section

A Guide To Claiming Compensation As A Chef Or Member Of The Waiting Staff

Injuries in the catering industry are common. Hot ovens, sharp knives and the bustle of a busy restaurant or kitchen are a hazardous combination for waiters, waitresses and chefs. As in other workplaces, back injuries, slips, trips and falls are also common. Perhaps more surprisingly, eye injuries are also common work injuries in the restaurant industry due to splash hazards from grease and cleaning products. With the sheer volume of workplace hazards for waitresses, waiters and other serving staff, it is no surprise that this is a common source of personal injury claims.

This article will explain the different sorts of accidents that might lead to a waiter injury, serving staff injury or chef injury, and explain how to go ahead with making a claim for a catering accident, and what is involved in making a no win no fee personal injury claim.

What Roles Are Included In Waiting Staff And Chefs?

Wait staff includes waiters, waitresses, servers and hosting staff. Kitchen staff includes chefs, prep workers and other support workers. Cleaners, maintenance workers, managers and other staff may be involved in any area of a restaurant or catering facility.

Kitchen staff are frequently exposed to more obvious hazards, such as sharp objects, ovens and electrical equipment, but they are also more likely to be trained in these areas, unlike serving staff who may use kitchen equipment without adequate training and subsequently suffer a ‘chef injury’. Trips, slips and back injuries are perhaps more commonly seen as a ‘waiter injury’, but equally kitchen staff are at risk, with spills being common in all catering areas.

Burn Injuries To Waiters, Waitresses, And Chefs

Burn injuries are one of the most common types of restaurant injury. It is perhaps more commonly seen as ‘chef injury’, as chefs are constantly dealing with ovens, grills and hot fat and oil, but it may also be a ‘waitress injury’ as serving staff are exposed to burns from hot plates and spills from hot food and drink.

Although many burns and scalds are minor, they can be serious injuries, leading to loss of function, permanent scarring or other cosmetic issues.

Restaurant owners and employers have a duty to ensure that staff are properly trained in the handling of hot food and equipment, that spills or breakages are dealt with promptly and that appropriate protective equipment is provided. If such training and equipment is not provided, you may have a personal injury claim for a serving staff injury or chef injury suffered as a result.

Slips, Trips, And Falls To Kitchen Staff

Slips, trips and falls are common catering injury claims, whether as a chef injury or as a waiter/waitress injury. Again, the responsibility is on your employer and/or the restaurant owner to ensure that walkways are safe and free from hazards, whether in the kitchen, the restaurant or elsewhere on the premises. If the employer or restaurant owner fails to do so, you may have a personal injury claim.

Workplace hazards for waitresses, which may cause slips and falls, include wet or dirty floors (for example from water or food spillage), boxes or equipment blocking walkways or people carrying large loads without being able to see where they are going.

Cuts And Lacerations To Kitchen Staff

Cuts are particularly common work injuries in the restaurant industry. They are perhaps more commonly seen in the kitchen, due to the use of knives and other sharp equipment, but serving staff may also be required to assist in some food preparation and may be required to use knives or other equipment. Serving staff are also at risk from cuts and lacerations from broken glass or crockery in the restaurant, as are the kitchen staff involved in cleaning glassware and tableware.

Cuts from knives or other kitchen equipment (such as slicers or food processors) can be very deep, and therefore serious. It is important to get urgent medical attention for a deep cut, as there may be significant blood loss and potential damage to nerves, tendons and muscles, with possibly serious consequences. Cuts from broken glass or crockery are less likely to be as deep but may involve multiple cuts and the risk of glass (or other contaminants) in the wound. Any sort of cut in a kitchen or restaurant environment involves the risk of infection from food or cleaning products entering the wound.

Common Accidents And Injuries To People Working In Commercial Kitchens

Other common kitchen injuries include scalds, from hot water and other liquids, and manual handling/musculoskeletal injuries from lifting and straining. Other injuries are eye injuries, from splashing, and contact dermatitis, particularly on the hands due to exposure to cleaning products. As with many other manual jobs, repetitive strain injury is also a risk.

If any of these kinds of injuries are caused by the fault or negligence of the employer or restaurant owner, you may be able to make a personal injury claim. Why not call today to find out more about claiming compensation for injuries as a waiter or chef?

Kitchen Accidents And Injuries To Members Of The Public

It is not only serving staff who may be injured in kitchen accidents. Members of the public are regularly present in kitchens and restaurants as customers, suppliers, external contractors or delivery people or for other reasons. The restaurant owner also has a duty of care towards members of the public, making sure that the environment is safe for visitors, who could not be expected to have received the same training as a professional chef. If the restaurant owner (and, by extension, the kitchen staff) have failed in this duty of care, you may have a restaurant liability claim in relation to any personal injury you have suffered.

Health And Safety In Commercial Kitchens

In the UK, the safety of commercial kitchens falls under the guidance of both the Health and Safety Executive and the Food Standards Agency, as well as the general principles of health and safety law covering workplaces and general safety.

The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, together with its associated regulations, aims to ensure that employers provide their workers with a safe working environment, proper protective equipment and proper training. Any breach of this act or the regulations leading to a serving staff injury or chef injury could provide the grounds for a personal injury claim.

Statistics For Accidents And Injuries In Commercial Kitchens

There were around 1.3 million incidents or work-related illness, and 609,000 workplace injuries in the UK in 2016/17. The catering and hotel industry is one of the safer areas to work in with regard to work-related illness (2,060 per 100,000 workers), but has an above-average frequency of workplace injuries, with 2,460 per 100,000 workers in 2016/17 suffering workplace injuries. As already see, there are many types of injury that may occur in a catering environment, and while many are minor, some will be much more serious.

What Should You Do If Injured In A Kitchen?

If you suffer a serving staff injury or a chef injury, you should ensure that, once you have received appropriate medical attention, any internal procedures are properly followed. This will include making your employer aware, and they should ensure a report is made in the accident book. In certain circumstances, the Health and Safety Executive will need to be informed, in accordance with RIDDOR procedures, and the HSE may make an investigation.

Keeping Your Own Records After Suffering Chef Injuries

You may wish to keep your own records to assist you with any restaurant liability claim. For example, photos of the accident site and the injury itself could be very helpful evidence in your personal injury claim. If any colleagues saw the accident if they can write down what they saw that may also be helpful evidence. Writing down the circumstances of your accident, such as whether there was a spillage or obstruction, will help in any future personal injury claim.

If your restaurant injury involves any expenditure on your part (for example, prescription charges or over-the-counter painkiller costs) please keep a record of this, ideally with receipts. If you have to take any time off work, particularly if you are on a zero-hours contract or are a ‘casual’ employee, you should keep a note of how long you were off, and what shifts you would have worked in that time.

How To Begin Your Personal Injury Claim

Once you are ready, we can advise further on whether you are able to make a personal injury claim. Please contact our personal injury lawyers for a telephone consultation. This is conducted free of charge and there is no obligation to take your catering injury claim further.

This initial conversation will cover the details of your accident, including the circumstances of your accident (what happened, what do you think was the cause), the details of your injury and any ongoing symptoms, what treatment you have had and are still having, what evidence is available – are there any photos, was the accident recorded in the accident book.

Following this discussion, we will be able to advise you if you have grounds for making a personal injury claim, and we will be able to confirm whether we can act for you on a no win, no fee basis.

What Can You Claim For If Injured In A Kitchen Or Any Other Part Of A Restaurant?

As with any personal injury claim, the value of the claim will depend on the severity of your injury. Restaurant liability claims will include compensation for the injury itself, known as general damages, and out-of-pocket expenses, known as special damages, which may also include a sum for future losses.

General damages are calculated based on case law, and compensate you for your pain and suffering, emotional distress and how your injury affects your everyday life and mobility.

Special Damages Associated With Chef Injuries

Special damages include loss of earnings, cost of medical treatment (any private treatment, including physiotherapy, prescription costs etc.), cost of care around the home (even if provided by family members), medical aids (such as walking sticks or knee braces) and other specific expenses such as damage to your property as a result of the accident (e.g. damage to clothing), travel expenses for hospital appointments and anything else related to your injury. Your future losses may include future loss of earnings, care, treatment costs and even loss of pension as a result of having to give up work or change job. If you keep all receipts from an early stage, that will make it much easier to include those items in your restaurant injury claim using our personal injury claims calculator.

Calculating Compensation Settlements For Restaurant Staff Injuries

Restaurant injuries can vary considerably, and the value of your claim will depend on the circumstances. The table below sets out examples of general damages awarded for various injuries that might occur following a serving staff injury or chef injury (as set out in case law, and summarised in the Judicial College Guidelines). Special damages (out-of-pocket expenses) will be in addition and will be particular to your own unique situation.

Eye injuryModerate£22,230 to £36,960Incomplete loss of vision in one eye or permanent impairment in one or both eyes, including sensitivity to bright light
Eye injuryMinor£3,710 to £8,200Minor injuries causing pain and temporary interference with vision
Back InjurySevere£36,390 to £151,070Serious back injury, possibly causing paralysis or nerve damage, damage leading to long-term severe pain or impaired mobility, possibly other internal injuries including loss of continence or sexual disfunction
Back InjuryModerate£11,730 to £36,390Less severe disability, including fractures, slipped discs and serious soft tissue damage, risk of ongoing arthritis and other problems
Back InjuryMinorUp to £11,730Soft tissue damage or muscle pain where a full recovery is achieved without surgery
Shoulder InjurySerious to Severe£11,980 to £45,070Serious injury with lasting loss of feeling or paralysis, complex fractures leading to restriction of movement, ongoing pain
Shoulder InjuryModerate£7,410 to £11,980Soft tissue damage or straightforward fracture, perhaps with ongoing restriction of movement and ongoing symptoms from which a full recovery is expected
Shoulder InjuryMinorUp to £7,410
Soft tissue damage leading to a full recovery, simple fracture of clavicle
Arm InjuryModerate to Serious£36,770 to £122,860Serious fracture injuries with ongoing disability, and more severe injuries that do not lead to amputation but have a serious impact on the person’s life
Arm InjuryMinor/ Less Severe £6,190 to £36,770Simple fractures and injuries resulting in minor disability
Elbow InjurySevere£36,770 to £51,460Seriously disabling injury, with surgery and ongoing disability
Elbow InjuryLess severe£14,690 to £30,050Less severe injury with some impairment of function but no major surgery
Elbow InjuryMinorUp to £11,820Injuries including simple fractures which do not cause any ongoing disability or loss of function, including soft tissue damage
Hand InjuryMinor to ModerateUp to £4,461 to £27,220Fractures, soft tissue damage, and cuts where a good recovery has been made, more serious injuries such as a severe crush injury, leading to permanent disability, will be at the higher end of this bracket
Wrist InjuryMild to Severe£3,310 to £56,180Minor fractures and soft tissue damage up to serious loss of function: higher awards will be for permanent disability and ongoing pain
Finger and Thumb InjuryMinor to SevereUp to £85,170Soft tissue damage, fracture or amputation, the amount will vary depending on which finger(s) are affected, ongoing function and appearance
Work-related upper limb disordersSerious£13,970 to £21,700Including a range of conditions, such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tenosynovitis, higher awards are for continuing disability and loss of employment
Work-related upper limb disordersMinor to Moderate£2,070 to £10,090More minor cases of repetitive strain injuries, resolving in the course of up to three years
Leg InjurySevere£91,950 to £264,650Amputation of all or part of one or both legs, taking into account any surrounding damage, ongoing use of prosthetics and psychological impact
Leg InjuryModerate to Serious£26,050 to £127,530Complex fractures and crush injuries requiring extensive treatment, risk of arthritis and likelihood of permanent pain and disability, short of amputation
Leg InjuryMinorUp to £26,050Simple fractures and soft tissue damage, where a good recovery is likely, possibly some ongoing symptoms
Knee InjurySerious£48,920 to £90,290Serious injury to the joint and fractures into the knee, with future risk of surgery and arthritis, loss of function and ongoing pain
Knee InjuryModerate to Serious£24,580 to £40,770Damage with ongoing symptoms and pain, with the potential for future surgery
Knee InjuryMinor to ModerateUp to £24,580Twisting and bruising injuries, dislocation or damage to cartilage where a full recovery is made or only minor weakness remains
Ankle InjuryMinor to SevereUp to £65,420Amount of compensation will depend on whether seriousness of the fracture or soft tissue damage, whether surgery is required and the level of ongoing disability
Foot InjurySevere£78,800 to £189,110Extremely severe injuries and those leading to the amputation of one or both feet
Foot InjuryModerate to Severe£12,900 to £65,710More serious injury including displaced metatarsal fractures and increased risk of arthritis, injuries involving lengthy treatment and surgery, and ongoing disability and pain
Foot InjuryMinorUp to £12,900Straightforward injury including simple fractures and ligament damage, leading to a virtually full recovery
Toe InjuryMinor to SevereUp to £52,620Injuries may include simple fractures or soft tissue damage up to those including ongoing pain and amputation of one or more toes
DermatitisSerious£12,900 to £18,020Cracking and soreness of both hands, affecting employment and lasting for years
DermatitisMinor to Moderate£1,600 – £10,710Short-term or medium-term condition, possibly with some ongoing symptoms but largely resolved with treatment
BurnsAllBurns are not dealt with separately, save for where there is scarring over significant parts of the body (which would attract a high value claim), but where there is a burn with permanent scarring, the claim will be at the higher end of the bracket

The figures in the table only relate to general damages, and therefore the full compensation amount will be higher once special damages are included in our personal injury claims calculator.

Please speak to us for further advice. Most calls only take around 10 minutes, and our personal injury solicitor can give you an outline of what might be included in your claim for compensation. We provide free legal advice on claiming compensation for injuries as a waiter or chef so why not call today?

No Win No Fee Serving Staff Claims For Injuries To A Waiter, A Waitress, Or A Chef

Making a court claim can be expensive and confusing, but to help you through it we may be able to offer you no win no fee agreement, also known as a conditional fee agreement, or CFA. This means that if your kitchen injury claim does not succeed, you do not have to pay legal costs. The agreement can be supported by an insurance policy to cover specific costs such as court fees and medical experts. If you win your claim, the majority of your costs will be paid for by your employer or the other person responsible for your accident.

Why Make Your Claim With Accident Claims UK

Accident Claims UK has extensive experience in dealing with all kinds of chef injury claims and accident claims for a waiter or waitress, and will help make what can be a stressful experience as stress-free as we can. Our team will progress your case, keep you informed and resolve your personal injury claim in the shortest time possible.

Contact Accident Claims UK Today

If you are considering making a claim for a catering accident, we can help. Personal injury claims must be made within three years of the accident (the personal injury claims time limit), so call us now to get your claim started. Calls us free on 0800 073 8801 or contact us through our website for your comprehensive claims advice.

Claiming compensation for injuries as a waiter or chef – FAQs

What types of waiter or chef injuries could a chef or waiter claim for?

If you work as a chef or a waiter, your employer owes you a duty of care to try and keep you safe at work. If they are negligent, and you are injured as a result, you could claim compensation. For example, you could claim if you hurt yourself in a fall because of an unrepaired link, are scalded because of a faulty drinks machine or are cut by a knife because of unsafe working practices.

Will I lose my job if I claim compensation for my injury at work?

It is against the law to dismiss, demote or treat staff differently for claiming for injuries sustained at work. Your employer cannot prevent you from making a claim and, by law, should have insurance in place to cover the cost of your claim.

How long will a restaurant accident claim take?

If you claim for an accident at work, it could be resolved in around 6-9 months if your employer admits liability for a) the accident and b) your injuries. Where an amicable agreement can’t be reached, the claims process could take over a year.

When do I need to have claimed by if I’m claiming for chef injuries?

Claims for accidents in a kitchen need to be made within 3-years of the date you were injured.

I was injured due to a chef accident that wasn’t my fault, will I get fired for claiming for my injuries?

If you were injured at work in a chef accident that wasn’t your fault, you could be eligible to claim compensation. You would need to prove that a breach of your employer’s duty of care towards you caused your injuries. Your employer has a legal responsibility towards you in terms of not dismissing you unfairly. If they attempted to treat you differently because of your accident claim, you may be able to make a separate claim for unfair dismissal.

Could I receive waiter and waitress injury compensation for psychological injuries?

If you suffer injuries in an accident at work that isn’t your fault, and your employer could be held liable, you could claim for both physical and psychological injuries. You would need evidence that your injuries were caused by the accident, however. 

What type of chef accident is the most common?

We do not have specific statistics relating to the type  of chef accident that is most common, but if we look at the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) figures from 2020-21, we can see that the most common accident cause was a slip, trip, or fall on one level. 

 chef injuries [anchor, optimise] chef accident waiter and waitress injury compensation

Whether you’ve suffered injuries due to the causes above, or because of another type of accident, we could assess your case for free. We could look at whether you could be eligible to claim compensation. Then, we could advise you on the steps to take to claim chef, waiter and waitress injury compensation.


Useful Links

Accident at Work Claims

Find out more about accidents in the workplace

HSE Guidance

Information on prevention of accidents in the catering industry

HSE Statistics

Statistics on work-related injuries and ill-health

Thanks for reading this guide on claiming compensation for injuries as a waiter or chef.