By Brett Williams. Last updated 26th August 2021. If accidents happen, they can lead to serious injuries and cause a lot of frustration and disruption. If the accident was caused by somebody else who had a responsibility to keep you safe wherever possible you may be thinking of making a personal injury claim for the harm suffered. That’s where accident claims solicitors covering Margate can help. This guide will provide examples of the types of accident claim that can be made and what you should do if you suffer an injury or accident in Margate.
Although we’re not based in Margate, our expert personal injury solicitors could still help you begin a compensation claim for injuries caused by somebody else. To discuss your injury with an accident claim expert, please call us on 0800 073 8801 today.
To find out more before calling, please continue reading this guide.
Choose A Section
- What Is An Accident Claims Solicitor Covering Margate?
- Accident At Work Claims In Margate
- Thanet Workplace Injury Statistics
- Car Crash And Road Traffic Accident Claims In Margate
- Claims For Trip And Fall Accidents
- Claiming Compensation As A Victim Of Crime
- Claiming For Accidents At A Public Place
- Medical Negligence Claims In Margate
- No Win No Fee Accident Claims Solicitors Covering Margate
- Talking To Our Team
- Questions Frequently Asked
- Resources For Claimants In The Margate Area
What Is An Accident Claims Solicitor Covering Margate?
To be eligible to make a compensation claim, you’ll usually need to be able to prove that:
- You were owed a duty of care by the defendant.
- Their negligence caused an accident to happen.
- You were injured or made ill following the accident.
If all of the above are true, and the incident falls within the accident claims time limit of 3 years, then you could use a personal injury lawyer to help you seek compensation. The time limit has exceptions please call our advisors for more information.
This guide will provide some examples of accidents that could lead to a claim. Some examples include claims for a car accident in Margate, a criminal injury or even a fatal accident claim.
When choosing an accident claim solicitor, it’s important to check what services they’re offering. You should look for these services as a minimum:
- A free assessment of your claim.
- Help collecting evidence to support your claim. This might include obtaining CCTV footage, medical records, accident reports or witness statements.
- Handling all communication with the legal team representing the defendant.
- Expert advice and recommendations about any offer of compensation.
- And, in a very small percentage of cases, representation in court if the claim cannot be settled amicably.
Accident At Work Claims In Margate
Accident claims solicitors covering Margate are often asked to help with claims for injuries sustained during an accident at work. Your employer owes you a duty of care to protect you while at work due to the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
This means that they should risk assess your tasks and take steps to reduce any risks identified. This means that they should:
- Produce a health and safety policy and ensure all staff are aware of it.
- Train staff properly in any tasks they’re required to carry out.
- Repair and maintain all machinery and equipment.
- Ensure staff are wearing the correct personal protective equipment where necessary.
If your employer fails to do any of the above and it causes an accident to happen, you could seek compensation if the accident causes you to suffer an injury. You should ensure your accident is reported to a supervisor and recorded in the company’s accident report book.
Thanet Workplace Injury Statistics
To show how many accidents at work occur in Kent, we’ve included data from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) below. The data is for the Thanet district, which includes Margate and comes from this HSE report.
|Location||Total - Non Fatal Injuries||Total - Non Fatal Injuries per 100,000 workers||Fatal Injuries|
Car Crash And Road Traffic Accident Claims In Margate
A road traffic accident (RTA) can lead to some very serious, sometimes life-changing, injuries. It’s important to try and gather as much evidence at the time of the accident because once the scene has been cleared, it can be harder to prove who was to blame.
Accident claims solicitors covering Margate could help victims claim against any road user who has caused you to become injured through a negligent act including dangerous driving, careless driving, stepping out in front of you or driving into the back of you.
If you are involved in an RTA you should if it is safe to do so:
- Seek medical treatment if needed.
- Photograph the accident showing the position of all vehicles before any are moved away.
- Ask any witnesses for a statement and their details.
- Get the details and insurance details of the other driver involved.
- If there is any, request copies of dashcam footage.
Claims For Trip And Fall Accidents
One of the most common types of accident claims is for injuries caused by a slip, trip or fall. Not all cases will lead to a compensation claim though. If you caused the accident by messing around or not paying attention, you’re unlikely to receive any compensation.
However, if the slip or fall was caused by somebody else’s negligence, you might be able to sue them. Some examples include if you’re injured due to:
- Falls caused by damaged handrails.
- Trips caused by hazards that were difficult to see because of bad lighting.
- Slips caused by wet floors with no warning signs.
- Trips caused by items that were not fitted properly such as doormats that have come out of position or curled over.
- Trips caused by trailing cables across walkways.
Claiming Compensation As A Victim Of Crime
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government scheme that can compensate the victims of crime. It’s not the same as a personal injury claim and has some specific differences including how the compensation is paid and the time limits involved. For instance, if you suffer multiple injuries, you’ll receive 100% of the compensation amount for the first injury but reduced payments for subsequent injuries (on a sliding scale).
Claiming For Accidents At A Public Place
Accident claims solicitors covering Margate could help with injuries caused by accidents in public places. The first thing you’ll need to do is identify who is responsible for the public place, whether it’s the local authority, a business or an individual. Then you’ll need to provide evidence of how they were negligent and caused your accident to happen.
Medical Negligence Claims In Margate
Medical negligence can be defined as substandard treatment by a medical professional which causes you to become injured, ill or for an existing condition to be made worse.
Medical professionals could include; GPs, surgeons, dentists, care workers, hospital staff, cosmetic technicians or any other medical professional whether they work for the NHS or a private company.
Claims could be for:
- Suffering caused by a late or negligent misdiagnosis.
- Negligent injuries caused during surgery.
- Illnesses or suffering caused because you were given the wrong medication.
- Mistreatment of patients in care homes.
- Negligent injuries caused by cosmetic surgery or treatments.
Proving medical negligence can be tricky so it’s important to have a specialist medical negligence solicitor on your side. Many of our panel of accident claims solicitors have handled complex negligence cases over many years and could help you too. Please get in touch to discuss your options and for advice about whether you could claim or not.
No Win No Fee Accident Claims Solicitors Covering Margate
It’s fairly common to worry about the costs involved with working with accident claim solicitors. This is why many offer to work on a no win no fee basis.
When you sign a no win no fee agreement (or conditional fee agreement or CFA), the solicitor is agreeing that:
- They won’t charge you to begin your claim.
- You won’t have to pay them if they fail to win the case.
- They will deduct their success fee from your compensation so that you don’t need to find the funds yourself.
Talking To Our Team
Thanks for reading this guide about accident claims solicitors covering Margate. If you’d like to discuss your accident and how we can help you claim, then you can contact us by calling 0800 073 8801 today. Alternatively, our live chat facility is available 7 days a week.
Questions Frequently Asked
When people contact accident claims solicitors for the first time, they often ask some common questions. We’ve answered a few below to save you time.
Could Accident Claims Solicitors Covering Margate Help Me Claim On Behalf Of My Child?
If your child is injured in an accident that somebody else caused, they won’t be able to represent themselves legally in a compensation claim. Luckily, the law allows parents or other responsible adults to become the child’s ‘litigation friend’. This means they act on behalf of the child and deal with solicitors and courts in the child’s best interests. The normal 3-year claims time limit doesn’t apply so you can begin the claim at any time before the child turns 18-years old.
During the claims process, the solicitor will act as they would normally and try to reach an amicable agreement with the defendant’s lawyers. However, once a settlement is reached, you can’t simply choose to accept it. As a child is the injured party, a court will need to review the payment and ensure that it fairly compensates them for their suffering. Once this has been done, the funds will be paid into a court trust account.
The role of a litigation friend goes beyond the claims process. Until the child turns 18, their parent (or whoever is acting on their behalf) can apply to the court to have funds released. However, they must provide evidence, in writing, about how the released funds will be beneficial to the child.
What can be claimed for in a personal injury claim?
Accident claims solicitors covering Margate will usually use two ‘heads of loss’ when making a compensation claim. The first is called general damages. This is compensation used to cover the pain, suffering and loss of amenity that has resulted from your injuries. The next is called ‘special damages’ and is linked to any costs, expenses or financial losses you’ve incurred because of the accident.
Special damages are different in every case but you could ask for:
- Medical expenses if you’ve paid for prescriptions, over the counter medication or non-NHS services.
- Care costs for the time a friend, relative or professional carer spent looking after you.
- Travel costs to claim back fuel, parking or public transport fees linked to hospital visits for example.
- Lost income resulting from not being able to work because of your injuries.
- Future lost income if the injuries cause a long-term issue with your ability to work.
- Home adaptations to help you cope if your accident resulted in some form of disability.
Could I Claim With A Personal Injury Solicitor?
Accident Claims UK are specialists in helping clients make a personal injury claim. We can help with accident claims in Margate and any other area of the country and are happy to offer free legal advice about claiming.
If, after assessing your claim for free, we believe you have a strong case, we could introduce you to one of our panel of accident claims solicitors who can cover the Margate area who operate on a no win no fee basis. They are specialists in seeking accident compensation and have up to 30 years experience.
Should I Choose An Accident Claims Solicitor In My Area?
You’re well within your rights to use accident claims solicitors covering the Margate area rather than those based there. In this day and age, many solicitors such as our solicitors here at Accident Claims UK are able to offer a service where they handle claims over the phone and by email.
This means you can make your choice of which solicitor to use based on their experience and their recent success cases rather than where they are based.
Will I Be Asked To Have A Medical?
It’s important that your personal injury solicitor can prove the extent of your injuries when claiming compensation. One way to do this is to use records from your GP or the hospital that you visited at the time of the accident. It is also a requirement that you are assessed by an independent doctor.
They assess your injuries, the effect they had on you and any impact they might cause you in the future. The report they produce is then provided to your solicitor and the defendant to be used as further supporting evidence.
Could This Medical Be In My Area?
We try to minimise any travel required for your medical assessment by using a panel of doctors and medical experts across the UK. Those in the Margate area we could use include:
39 York Street
Kent, CT10 1PB.
Resources For Claimants In The Margate Area
Hopefully, this guide about accident claims solicitors covering Margate has provided you with all of the information you require. To assist you further, we’ve linked to some further guides and resources below:
Reporting Road Traffic Accidents – Guidance from Kent police on when you can report RTAs online.
Whiplash – Information from the NHS regarding the symptoms and treatment of whiplash injuries.
Reporting Accidents at Work – The HSE’s rules on which types of accidents need to be reported to them under health and safety legislation.
Road Traffic Accidents – Guidance that could help with road traffic accident claims in Margate.
Slip and Fall Claims – A more detailed look at when you could make an accident claim for a slip or fall.
Accident at Work Claims – This useful guide provides more information about filing accident at work claims in Margate.
Article by BH Edited by Mel.