The loss of a loved one from a death caused by careless driving is a stressful, traumatic time for a family. Claiming the compensation, you will be entitled to for the loss of this loved one, is often overlooked in the aftermath of the event. However, it is important that the claims process is started as soon as possible, so that you gain the compensation that is yours, at a time it is needed the most.
In this guide, we aim to inform people of the process of making a compensation claim for a death caused by careless or dangerous driving. Including information about the process of making a claim.
If you would prefer to begin your claim right away, without reading this guide, then call Accident Claims UK on 0800 073 8801 right now, and we can start a claim on your behalf.
Select a Section:
- A guide to compensation claims for death caused by dangerous driving
- Cases of death caused by dangerous driving
- Careless driving caused by intoxication
- Careless driving caused by tiredness
- Other types of careless driving leading to fatal accidents
- Workplace careless driving fatal accident compensation claims
- Who can seek compensation for a death caused by dangerous driving?
- Compensation claim calculator for deaths caused by dangerous driving
- How to start a personal injury claim for death caused by dangerous driving
- No win no fee compensation claims caused by dangerous driving
- Why work with accident claims UK on your claim?
- Start your claim today
- Useful links
A Guide to Compensation Claims for Death Caused by Dangerous Driving
This guide is intended to educate people who have suffered the loss of a loved one through a road traffic accident caused by dangerous or careless driving. Unfortunately, accidents that result in death by careless driving are still quite common in the UK. If your family has suffered a death caused by dangerous driving, then this guide is for you. It covers everything you need to know before making a compensation claim, including:
- A description of how deaths can be caused by dangerous driving, and what constitutes dangerous driving.
- A description of how deaths are caused by intoxication, including alcohol and drug-related deaths, and how they are caused.
- A description of how deaths are caused by drivers who are tired, and how these types of accidents occur.
- An overview of some of the other forms of careless driving that can lead to a road traffic accident ending in fatalities.
- Information on making a compensation claim for a death caused by careless driving at work, either as an employee or a member of the public.
- Information on just who can claim for the loss of a loved one following a road traffic accident that has been caused by careless or dangerous driving.
- A table which shows the typical amounts of compensation that the dependants of a person who was killed in a road traffic accident can expect to claim.
- The steps you need to take to begin a compensation claim for a death caused by careless driving.
- An introduction to the No Win No Fee national claims service offered by Accident Claims UK and the reasons why we believe this is the best way to claim for the death of a loved one in a road traffic accident.
If you have any questions about this guide or require more information, you can contact Accident Claims UK on the number at the top of this page and we will do our best to answer any questions you may have.
Cases of Death Caused by Dangerous Driving
One of the most common types of fatal accident claims we deal with here at Accident Claims UK are fatal road traffic accidents caused by dangerous driving. A frequent cause of claiming compensation death by dangerous driving is still a fairly common occurrence in the UK.
The law in the UK sees dangerous driving in a way which puts members of the public at unnecessary risk. Examples of behaviour which could be seen as dangerous driving, which could result in a fatal road traffic accident are:
- Driving at speeds above the legal speed limit. However, in most dangerous driving cases the speed limit is exceeded by a large margin, not simply a few miles per hour.
- Driving whilst speaking on the telephone or reading/sending SMS messages.
- Driving whilst accessing social media applications such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Racing on public roads, either in an organised race or an impromptu one.
These are just some of the driving behaviours that can be construed as dangerous driving. There are more. If you have lost a loved one due to the actions of a dangerous driver, then contact Accident Claims UK and we can help you claim the compensation you are entitled to.
Careless Driving Caused by Intoxication
Careless driving can be defined in many ways, but one of the most common ways that a person can be found to be guilty of careless driving is driving whilst intoxicated. The legal system looks frowns upon drunk or intoxicated drivers, and death compensation claim amounts for accidents caused by drivers under the influence are generally quite high.
Driving whilst intoxicated does not necessarily mean that a person has been drinking alcohol. Recreational drug use is also seen as driving whilst intoxicated. And in some situations, even prescription medications, if used incorrectly, such as taking too high a dose, or ignoring specific instructions that imply that a person’s abilities may be impaired, could result in a driver being ruled as having driven whilst intoxicated.
Careless Driving Caused by Tiredness
Although this is not the most common reason we claim compensation for death in car accident, road traffic accidents caused by a driver who is too tired to drive safely, can and do happen quite regularly in the UK.
It is important to note that road traffic accidents caused by tiredness are not necessarily the result of a person falling asleep at the wheel. As we get tired, our reactions times slow down, our vision becomes blurred, and our decision-making faculties become impaired. Any of these can cause a driver to make a minor mistake in their driving, which could result in a fatal road traffic accident.
If you have suffered the death of somebody close to you through the actions of a driver who was driving when they were too tired, call us at the number at the bottom of this page to find out the fatal accident compensation amount you might be able to claim.
Other Types of Careless Driving Leading to Fatal Accidents
When we take a look at death by careless driving case studies, the reasons we have already discussed above are generally the most common ways that fatal accidents occur. However, there are many other examples of careless driving that can also lead to a fatal road traffic accident, such as:
- Not paying attention to the road whilst programming a GPS system.
- Driving a vehicle which you know has a serious fault that could cause an accident.
- Driving without prescription glasses or contact lenses, leading to vastly reduced vision capabilities.
- Driving while you are suffering from a serious illness which negatively affects your ability to drive in some way.
- Losing concentration due to dealing with passengers such as small children in the car.
Of course, there are many more ways that careless driving can result in an accident that leaves a family in a position to compensation for death of family member. Call Accident Claims UK to discuss your specific case and find out whether we believe you have a valid reason to claim for a death caused by careless driving.
Workplace Careless Driving Fatal Accident Compensation Claims
If you look at the graph above, you can clearly see that the most common cause of a fatal accident in the workplace is through being struck by a mobbing vehicle.
Every company in the UK has a legal responsibility, governed by legislation laid out by the Health & Safety Executive, to maintain all company-owned vehicles to keep them safe to operate. Each company is also required to make sure every one of their employees who drive a company vehicle have sufficient training.
If a company fails in either of these two duties, which directly leads to the death of either a company employee or a member of the public, a valid reason to claim bereavement compensation will exist. Call Accident Claims UK on the number at the bottom of this page to find out how we can help you with your work-related fatal accident claim.
Who Can Seek Compensation for a Death Caused by Dangerous Driving?
Unlike a personal injury claim, where the victim is also the claimant, in a fatal accident, compensation will be claimed by a separate party. There are three different legal entities that can claim for the death of a person in a fatal road traffic accident, and these are:
- Direct dependants of the deceased – this means children or a partner that was dependant on the deceased as the main breadwinner and will suffer due to their loss.
- Family members of the deceased – who have suffered either emotional or financial damage due to the loss of a relative in a fatal road traffic accident.
- The estate of the deceased – if the death has left, for example, a company owned and operated by the deceased with serious problems, then it could claim compensation.
If you would like to find out whether you can claim for the death of a person in a road traffic accident caused by careless driving, call Accident Claims UK on the number at the bottom of this page to find out.
Compensation Claim Calculator for Deaths Caused by Dangerous Driving
To answer the question, does car insurance pay for death? then the answer is not always. In some cases, an insurance pay-out may for part of the death compensation calculation. And of course, when it comes to the question how much compensation for death at work? insurance will not be a factor.
Giving an accurate indication of how much compensation you might receive for the loss of a loved one in a fatal car accident is difficult, as each case is entirely unique. However, the table below will give you a rough guide to how much you might receive. Keep in mind that these numbers are speculative only, the actual payment you receive may differ significantly from these amounts.
|Compensation Awarded For||Amount Awarded||Notes|
|Baseline Amount||£12,500 - £300,000||This is the guideline amount for a death by unnatural causes.|
|Awareness, into unconsciousness and then death.||£8,000 - £10,650||For deaths that involve almost immediate unconsciousness, followed by actual death within 3 hours.|
|Long-term unconsciousness followed by death.||£6400||For deaths that involve almost immediate unconsciousness, followed by actual death within 6 weeks.|
|Immediate unconsciousness followed by death.||£1,050 - £2,125||For deaths that involve immediate unconsciousness, followed by actual death within 1 week.|
|Full awareness of death.||£15,950 - £18,100||The victim remains awake and aware, with death within 2 weeks.|
|Mental trauma||£3550||Psychological damage, trauma and stress caused by death.|
|Funeral expenses||£3,000 - £10,000|
|Punitive damages||£1,000 - £275,000|
|Pain and suffering||£1,000 - £200,000||Amount paid will depend on the level of suffering.|
|Loss of benefits||£5,000 - £500,000||Amount based on actual financial loss.|
|Loss of future earnings||£10,000 - £400,000||Amount based on actual financial loss.|
|Loss of a family provider.||£2,000 - £100,000||Amount based on the actual financial loss and impact of the death on the family.|
How to Start A Personal Injury Claim for Death Caused by Dangerous Driving
The process for making a claim for the loss of a loved one due to a fatal accident, is very similar to that for making a careless driving personal injury claim in the fact that it must be possible to prove that a third-party was the cause for the accident. This is where Accident Claims UK comes in. We can help you with this. If you call us on the number at the bottom of this page, we will ask you a number of questions so that we can learn all the facts of your claim. We will ask questions such as:
- At what date and time did the fatal road traffic accident take place?
- Where did the accident occur?
- Who was at fault for causing the accident?
- What relation was the deceased to you?
- Have you or your family suffered any financial loss due to the death?
- Will the loss of a breadwinner have a long-term financial effect upon your family?
- How many dependants did the deceased have? What ages are they?
These are just some of the questions we will need to be answered in order to successfully make a compensation claim for the loss of a family member in a fatal road traffic accident caused by careless driving.
No Win No Fee Compensation Claims Caused by Dangerous Driving
Accident Claims UK operates a No Win No Fee careless driving compensation claims service to the whole of the UK. We firmly believe that this is the most effective way to make such as serious claim.
Under our No Win No Fee scheme there really is nothing to pay right up until the time you receive a compensation payment. There is no fee to start your claim, and we won’t ask you to pay anything while we are making your claim, even if it goes on for several months. And in the very unlikely event that we fail to successfully make a claim on your behalf, we won’t charge you anything at all. The only time we levy a fee is when we win your claim for you.
This means you really have nothing to lose, as this is a completely financially risk-free way to make a compensation claim. You don’t pay anything unless you win, it is that simple. If you need more information about our No Win No Fee agreement and how it works, simply give us a call at the number below and we will answer any questions you may have.
Why Work with Accident Claims UK On Your Claim?
We are an extremely experience firm of legal repressive, every on our careless driving claim solicitor team has won many such claims in the past. With over 30-years of experience making successful claims across a very wide range of cases, we have the knowledge and expertise needed to make a claim for a fatality caused by careless driving.
We will always do everything possible to maximise the amount of compensation you are awarded, yet in the same breath, we won’t ever do anything that might put your claim at risk.
We are always available to answer any questions you may have, and we will always keep you updated on what we are doing on your behalf, and how you claim is progressing. No legal jargon here, just simple to understand English. Call us at the number below so that we can begin getting you the compensation you are entitled to today.
Start Your Claim Today
Do you believe you have a valid reason to claim compensation for a loved one who was killed in a road traffic accident due to careless driving? If so, then call Accident Claims UK on 0800 073 8801 right now. We will take the details of your claim, and when we know enough about your situation, we will offer some free legal advice on what to do next. In most cases, this will be to use our No Win No Fee claims service; the simplest, most effective and financially risk-free way to make such a claim.
At the link below, you will find a detailed guide that we have published on claiming compensation for car accidents:
At the link below, you will find a guide we have published that covers claiming compensation against the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB):
At the link below, you will find the UK Government’s 2016 report on road traffic accidents that occurred in the UK during the year:
On the link below, you will find statistics published by the UK Department of Transport with regards to road traffic accidents in the UK: