Who Is Responsible For Reporting Hazards And Accidents In The Workplace?

hazards and accidents in the workplace

hazards and accidents in the workplace

By Joanne Jeffries. Last Updated 16th July 2021. Within this guide, we are going to take a look at hazards and accidents in the workplace. We will also outline how a personal injury lawyer could offer to handle your claim, answer critical questions, and offer free legal advice.

Are you wondering what the correct reporting of accidents procedure is for the hazards and accidents in the workplace? Have you suffered an injury in an accident at work, and are wondering who should report it under RIDDOR, or even if it should be reported under RIDDOR at all? Did you report an accident at work that was not your fault, and are wondering whether you could begin to make a claim for compensation for your injuries?

Whatever your question, here at Accident Claims UK, we have created this guide to help you understand the reporting of injuries at work, when it should be done and whose responsibility it is. We’ll also discuss situations that may lead to you making a claim against an employer for an accident at work that was not your fault and give you an overview of how we could help you begin such a claim.

We hope you find all the information you need here in this guide, but if there are any questions remaining, then do call us for clarification on 0800 073 8801.

Select A Section

A Guide On The Reporting Of Accidents In The Workplace

Welcome to our guide on hazards and accidents in the workplace.

There are many ways in which accidents at work could happen, and if and when they do, you should be aware of the correct procedure for the reporting of accidents, even if you are not responsible for putting the report in yourself. If you have been injured in an accident at work and it could have been someone else’s fault, i.e. your employer did not take care of your health and safety and the accident occurred because of this, then you might be wondering what the proper way to report an injury at work is, and would it affect you being able to make a claim.

Within the sections below, we shall take a look at some of the common questions surrounding this subject, such as why should all incidents and accidents be reported, who is the designated person to whom you should report hazards, and what are the consequences of not reporting RIDDOR incidents. We’ll also explain about how you could go ahead and make a claim against an employer for an accident that has happened at work that was not your fault.

What Are Reportable Accidents At Work?

Let’s look at reportable hazards and accidents in the workplace.

Reportable accidents at work could include a vast number of incidents. In terms of the correct reporting of accidents at work, any accident that causes injuries that require some kind of treatment should be reported.

These could include:

It could be important to follow the correct procedure for the reporting of accidents and the reporting of injuries in the workplace, whether you are considering making a personal injury claim or not.

What Are The Reporting Of Injuries, Diseases And Dangerous Occurrences Regulations – RIDDOR?

There are a huge number of hazards and accidents in the workplace, but what should be recorded in an accident book, and which should be reported to the HSE under RIDDOR? RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, and these rules require the following to be reported by law:

  • Work-related fatalities
  • Industrial diseases and their causes
  • Injuries to someone who doesn’t work at the site/premises but has suffered an accident at the site/premises
  • Work-related accidents that have led to specific workplace injuries (see below)
  • Dangerous occurrences (such as near misses)

When we talk about specific hazards and accidents in the workplace injuries that should be reported under RIDDOR, these could include:

Fractures – If someone suffers a chip, crack or break to a bone or bones that are not the toes, thumbs or fingers, these should be reported if they have been diagnosed by a doctor.

Amputations – These include amputations of toes, feet, legs, thumbs, fingers, hands, or arms, whether they happened traumatically at the scene or as a result of injuries sustained after hazards and accidents in the workplace.

Sight injuries – It would be required to report an accident at work that led to permanent sight reduction or loss of sight.

Crush injuries – The reporting of accidents causing crush injuries to the torso or head which cause harm to the internal organs or brain are also required.

Burn injuries – RIDDOR reporting is also required for scald or burn injuries if they cover over 10% of the surface area of the body, or cause harm to the vital organs, respiratory system or eyes. You should report an injury at work of this type regardless of whether it was caused by radiology, chemicals or direct heat.

Scalping that requires hospital treatment – you could use the online accident reporting system if such an injury at work occurs.

Head injury or asphyxia related loss of consciousness – Reporting of accidents of this type should also be done according to RIDDOR

Injuries because of enclosed spaces -If they lead to hypothermia, heat-induced illnesses, or require the victim to be resuscitated or be admitted to hospital for 24hrs+.

Why Should You Report An Injury At Work?

If you’ve suffered as a result of hazards and accidents in the workplace, you must report it.

You may be wondering ‘why is it important to report accidents at work?’. In terms of health and safety, reporting not only notifies the authorities (if RIDDOR are involved) of any trends within the company or the industry, which could lead to stricter legislation being put in place to avoid the number of the same types of accidents increasing, but it could also serve to notify your employer that there could be a risk of the same type of incident happening again, which could mean they take steps to avoid similar incidents being repeated.

When it comes to making a personal injury claim, it could be important to ensure that the reporting of accidents is done correctly, so that you could prove that the accident happened and that you were injured by it.

How Should Employers Report An Accident Or Injury At Work?

If you’re wondering what should be recorded in an accident book and who is responsible for reporting and recording hazards and accidents in the workplace, this section should help you. Any accident that causes some kind of injury should be reported in the accident book – this could be done by a responsible person at work. As per RIDDOR, it is an employer’s responsibility to report the types of injuries and accidents we mentioned earlier on in this guide. To answer the question who should report to RIDDOR, the answer would usually be the person responsible for health and safety within your workplace but could include any of the following, such as:

  • The employer/the person in charge of the premises
  • The self-employed
  • An employment agency

Responsible persons should submit a form which will then send the report to the RIDDOR database. You could also submit a report via telephone where the incident is fatal or involves specified incidents. The number you would need to call is 0345 300 9923.

It could be wise to check RIDDOR reports carefully before they are submitted online to ensure that all details are correctly reported so that an accurate picture of the incident could be recorded.

I Reported My Accident At Work, Am I Eligible To Claim Compensation?

If you have gone ahead and followed the correct procedures for the reporting hazards and accidents in the workplace, you may assume you could be eligible to claim compensation, but you could only go ahead and make a claim for compensation if it could be proved that your employer was at fault for your injuries, because they were negligent in terms of looking after your health and safety. Every employer is required by law to take steps to protect the health and safety of the staff that work for them. They could go about protecting employees’ health and safety in a number of ways, depending on the type of work you do and the risks that exist in your workplace. These could include:

  • Ensuring you have the relevant training to do your job safely
  • Ensuring that you have the required protective equipment to perform work tasks safely
  • Ensuring that hazards within the workplace itself are risk assessed and hazards are removed/signposted accordingly
  • Ensuring that risks of developing long-term conditions are assessed and reduced

If your employer has not taken steps to protect your health and safety, and you have gone about the reporting of injuries in the correct manner, then you could be eligible to claim compensation.

The types of evidence that may be useful in these cases could include witness details, photographs of the scene and a copy of the report for your accident at work.

How Long After Reporting An Accident At Work Could I Claim Compensation?

When it comes to making personal injury claims for suffering as a result of hazards and accidents in the workplace, there is usually a limit to how long after an incident you could make such claims. In many cases, the personal injury claims time limit would be 3 years from the date you were injured at work.

While it could be important to report an accident at work as soon as you possibly can, you could opt to wait a little before making a claim, but it could be a good idea to get advice on the specific limit that would apply to your claim even if you have gone ahead and followed the correct reporting of accidents procedure at work. This is because there could be some exceptions as to how long you might have to claim. If you would like some more information on the time limit applicable to your specific circumstances, don’t hesitate to call us.

Reported Workplace Accident Compensation Claims Calculator – Updated July 2021

If you’re considering making a claim for compensation for suffering as a result of hazards and accidents in the workplace, then you might be wondering how much an appropriate settlement would be. On some sites, you may find a personal injury claims calculator that you enter your details into and receive an approximate guide to how much your claim could be worth.

However, we have chosen to do things slightly differently on this page. Below you will see a table that lists some common injuries that could relate to this type of accident, and the guideline payout amounts as per the Judicial College Guidelines. It would be worth mentioning that this is an approximate guide only. Once your medical condition and prognosis has been assessed by an independent medical expert, then a value could be put on your claim.

InjuriesSeverity Bracket
Back InjuriesSevere£85,470 to £151,070
Back InjuriesModerate £26,050 to £36,390
Shoulder InjuriesSevere£18,020 to £45,070
Shoulder InjuriesModerate £7,410 to £11,980
Neck InjuriesSevereIn the region of £139,210
Neck InjuriesModerate£23,460 to £36,120
Post-Traumatic Stress DisorderSevere£56,180 to £94,470
Post-Traumatic Stress DisorderModerately Severe£21,730 to £56,180
Post-Traumatic Stress DisorderModerate£7,680 to £21,730

If you cannot see the appropriate injury for your claim above, then please do contact the Accident Claims UK team. We will be happy to go over the guidelines to find your injuries and let you know the guideline payout amounts for your specific situation.

Special Damages Which May Be Claimed For Workplace Injuries

You could receive compensation for special damages if you’ve suffered due to hazards and accidents in the workplace.

Along with the amounts mentioned in the table above that would be appropriate to compensate you for your injuries themselves, you could also look at claiming for special damages. These are damages that are meant to compensate you for any monetary costs that you’ve suffered because of the accident and your injuries. They could include:

  • Medical costs – Whether you have had to pay for physiotherapy, adaptations to your home, prescription costs or counselling, you could look into claiming for these as special damages.
  • Travel costs – Whether you have had to pay to travel to work because of your injuries (ie getting a taxi instead of driving, because you are unable to drive) or had to pay travel costs to get to hospital appointments, these costs could also be covered by special damages.
  • Care costs – If you needed – or still need – care at home because of your injuries, because you cannot perform your usual daily activities, then this could also be claimed for.
  • Wage losses – If you have been put on SSP, or you’ve been unable to work and have lost out on wages, then you may claim for these too. It may be worth mentioning here that special damages payouts could also be considered if there were future costs predicted that would arise directly because of your injuries.

Should you have incurred a cost that we have not mentioned above, and you would like to know whether or not it could be included in your injury claim, please do let us know. We could clarify the situation for you.

No Win No Fee Claims For Reported Accidents At Work

There could be significant benefits to hiring a personal injury lawyer for your claim for hazards and accidents in the workplace. Getting an experienced solicitor for your claim could mean they could use their capabilities to build a stronger case for compensation than you could do on your own. However, some people might think the costs of a personal injury solicitor could be prohibitive.

Thankfully, it could be possible for claimants to begin a claim with a solicitor without having to settle their lawyer’s fees in advance of their claim being settled. These are what is known as no win no fee claims. The way in which this type of claim is dealt with is by way of a no win no fee agreement, which could also be referred to as a CFA. This document describes the conditions under which you would be required to pay your lawyer, and how much you’d need to pay them should they successfully get you a compensation payout. This ‘success fee’ is usually detailed as a percentage of your compensation payment, and can’t, because of a government cap, be any more than a small percentage of the total settlement.

If you have a valid claim, yet your solicitor is unable to get compensation for you, then you would not be liable to pay this success fee. We understand that you may have further questions about this and we would be delighted to discuss how no win no fee claims work in more detail with you if you would like us to.

Why Let Our Experts Handle Your Case?

Here at Accident Claims, we pride ourselves on being able to offer people from all walks of life that have found themselves in a similar position to you the help and support they need, whether they have questions about the reporting of injuries at work, or would like to know how to find an experienced solicitor to help them.

We feel that every claimant should be able to get free advice on whether or not they could be in a position to make a compensation claim, which is why our helpline is free to call. We offer free, no-obligation advice on making many types of personal injury claim, and if we assess your case and feel you could be eligible to claim compensation for hazards and accidents in the workplace, then we could even offer to connect you with a solicitor that works on a no win no fee basis to take your claim forward for you. If we feel that your claim would not make you eligible for compensation, however, we will be honest, and we will tell you.

We’ll also let you know the reasons we feel this could be the case. You are not under any obligation to take our advice or use our services. We simply want you to be well informed of all your options when it comes to your workplace injury claim.

Start Your Claim If Injured At Work Today

Are you in a position where you feel you are ready to start a claim for hazards and accidents in the workplace or do you have further questions for us about the reporting of accidents? Either way, we look forward to hearing from you to talk over the specifics of your workplace accident case. There are several ways in which you could reach us.

hazards and accidents in the workplace

hazards and accidents in the workplace

You can call the helpline on 0800 073 8801, send a message to office@accidentclaims.co.uk, or alternatively, you could fill out our contact form or simply use the live chat feature. Since contacting us is free, there’s really no reason to delay, so why not get in touch today?

Essential References

HSE – RIDDOR – Here, you will find more information on the reporting of accidents at work.

Specified Injuries – Here you can see the specified injuries that should be reported to RIDDOR

Understanding The Accident Book – This shows what should be reported in an accident book.

Back Injuries – You can read more about making workplace accident claims for back injuries here.

Your Legal Rights – Here we look at what your legal rights are after you’ve suffered an accident at work.

What Happens If You Are Self-Employed -Here you can find out more about claiming as someone who is self-employed.

Hazards and Accidents in the Workplace FAQ

What is considered a workplace accident?

A workplace accident is when an unplanned or uncontrolled event causes harm to an individual. In many cases, a workplace accident is an unfortunate and blameless turn of events. However, in circumstances where an accident is caused by negligence, you could have grounds to make a claim against the negligent party.

What is the most common cause of accidents in the workplace?

Numerous factors could ultimately cause a workplace accident, such as:

  • Slips, trips and falls.
  • Heavy lifting and carrying.
  • Acts of Violence.
  • Falls from heights.
  • Struck by a moving object.

Must I begin a claim within a certain timeframe?

The short answer is yes. In order to make a successful claim, you must begin your case within a personal injury claims time limit. Most cases must be made within 3-years, and if you fail to begin your claim within this time limit, then your case could be affected.

When are claim time limits effective?

Typically, the time limit begins from the date of the accident. In some cases, it’s possible to claim outside of this limitation period if you only just realised that you were effected by the accident.

Can I claim on behalf of someone else?

Yes, if you act as a litigation friend, you could pursue compensation on behalf of a loved one. This could be on behalf of your child if they’re yet to reach their 18th birthday, for example.

Do I need a lawyer?

You can make a claim without a lawyer as there is no legal requirement to have one. However, lawyers have valuable experience in the claims process that they can use to win you the maximum compensation that you deserve, so it helps to have one handle your case.

Where can I find a lawyer?

Look no further than our panel of personal injury lawyers at Accident Claims, with over 30 years of experience and a promise to handle all claims on a No Win No Fee basis.

How can I contact Accident Claims?

Either call us using the number at the top of this page or refer to our contact section for some other options of how to get in touch.

Could I claim compensation for violence at work?

As well as the hazards we’ve mentioned in this guide, you could also be at risk of another hazard that could cause your injury, and that is violence at work. Your employer’s duty of care to ensure you can work safely extends to protecting you from violence at work. If they fail to do so, you could make a claim against them. In some cases, however, your claim would be made via the CICA (The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority).

How common is violence at work?

According to HSE statistics for 2019/20, there were 688,000 violent incidents at work during this period. 307,000 working adults experienced an act of violence in their workplace, with assaults making up 299,000 incidents and 389,000 incidents involving threats. While 62% of these incidents didn’t result in injury, 38% of reports involved at least one injury. Below, you can see a graph detailing what kind of injuries were caused.

Could a solicitor help me make a CICA claims?

Here at Accident Claims UK, we would be happy to assess your case to see if you could be eligible to claim against your employer or via the CICA for a violent act at work that has caused you to suffer injuries, no matter whether your injuries were psychological or physical. If you need to make your claim to the CICA, we could assist with this. We have helped many people claim via the CICA for incidents of violent assault. Please contact us for assistance, guidance and support.

Whether you work for a local authority, on a construction site, in a hospital or in a shop, preventing accidents and ensuring employee safety is vital. Reporting things that go wrong could help prevent the same accident from happening again.

Thank you for taking the time to read our guide on hazards and accidents in the workplace.