The Netherlands Accident Claims Guide – How To Claim Compensation For A Personal Injury? – Holland

On this page, you will find a guide to making a compensation claim if you have had an accident on holiday in the Netherlands. Within it, you will find all of the information that you will need to answer questions such as, do I have a valid claim? Who is liable for compensation? How do I start my claim? And more.

Feel free to skip over the parts of this guide that don’t pertain to your own case. If you have any unanswered questions at the end of it, please give Accident Claims UK a call on 0800 073 8801. One of our team will be ready and waiting to answer your questions, and talk you through our new claims process, so that we can get started on your claim right away for you.

Select A Section:

A Guide To Claiming For A Netherlands Or Holland Holiday Accident

Within this guide to holiday accident claims in the Netherlands, you will find all you need to learn in order to start making decisions about how best to deal with your own claim.

The Netherlands holiday accident

The Netherlands holiday accident

Over 2 million UK citizens visit the Netherlands every year, with over half of these people taking a city break to Amsterdam. The UK Government states that travel to the Netherlands is generally trouble-free. However, there are always people who don’t have such an easy time of things, due to being injured in an accident, or becoming ill while overseas. If the harm they have suffered was caused by a third party, then a reason to make a claim should exists. This guide is aimed at anyone who has come to harm while visiting the Netherlands, due to the actions of a third party.

The first part of this guide provides information that you will need to be able to deal with your accident, injury or illness while you are still overseas. This includes how to contact the emergency services, and how to get medical treatment. You will also find a list of things you can do to help you prepare for making a claim when you get home.

The next part of this guide covers many of the most common types of claim. This includes accidents that happen on a package holiday, illnesses caused by a restaurant, road traffic, scooter, moped,  motorcycle and cycling accidents, bus and coach accidents, as well as slips, trips and falls.

The final part of this guide looks at the reasons why you are best off using a UK solicitor to make your overseas claim. It will also introduce the accident and injury claims service that Accident Claims UK operates. This is an effective yet simple way for you to have your claim processed by a skilled and experienced team of solicitors.

One thing you won’t find on this page, is an online personal injury claims calculator. These are usually very inaccurate, and tend to give people an overinflated idea of how much they could be able to claim in compensation. If you want to know how much your claim could possibly be worth, speak to one of the Accident Claims UK team on the number at the end of this guide, they will be able to give you an estimate.

Popular Tourist Destinations In The Netherlands

No matter where you visit in the Netherlands, including these top city break destinations, you should be able to claim if you come to harm.

  • Amsterdam
  • The Hague
  • Rotterdam
  • Zaanse Schans
  • Utrecht
  • Maastricht
  • Volendam
  • Giethorn
  • Delft
  • Haarlem

You’ve Had An Accident On Holiday, Here Is What You Should Do

If you have been injured while on holiday overseas, then as long as the accident was the fault of a third party, a personal injury lawyer should be able to process a claim for you. However, there are a number of things that you can do, that will help to prepare for making your claim. They may also potentially give you a better chance of your claim being successful. These include:

  • If you were injured due to a criminal act, ensure that the police have been informed, and ask the police for the incident number.
  • Visit a local hospital to have your injuries looked at. You should do this even if you think that they don’t need treatment. This is so that there is an official record of your injuries.
  • If there were any witnesses to the incident that caused your injuries, ask them if they can provide their contact details. Your solicitor may need to contact them at some later stage.
  • If you were travelling on a package tour, make sure that the travel company you booked with has been informed of your accident.
  • When you have returned to the UK after your holiday, visit the hospital to have your injuries looked at again, and to check that they have been treated properly. This will cause your injuries to be recorded by the NHS.
  • Begin to make a list of all of the losses that you have sustained due to your injuries. Both financial and otherwise.
  • Call Accident Claims UK on the number at the bottom of this page. One of our team will help you get your claim started right away.

You may also find these two separate guides to be of use to you, at the following links:

A guide to making a claim for an accident on a package holiday

How to claim for a holiday accident

Emergency Numbers In The Netherlands

If you have been involved in an accident in the Netherlands, you will need to know how to contact the emergency services, so that you can get the assistance you need. There is a unified emergency services number available in the country, on 112. You can dial this from any phone, even your UK cell phone. When you call 112 an operator who can speak English will answer. They will ask you for details about the emergency, and then send any emergency services that they think are required. For non-emergency situations, you can use these numbers instead:

  • 0900 8844 – for the police.
  • 0800 7000 – to report a crime.
  • 0900 0111 – for the coastguard.
  • 088 003 0600 – for the Amsterdam emergency

You can also try to get help from the UK Government, by contacting the local Consulate, you will find the contact details for this at the end of this guide. You may also like to take a look at this link; it contains many of the less important emergency numbers:

A guide to emergency numbers in the Netherlands

Travel Advice For Healthcare In Holland

To receive emergency healthcare in the Netherlands, you just have to call 112. However, when you are taken to the hospital, you will need to have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) on you to receive free treatment. If you don’t have your EHIC on you, then you have two options. Firstly, you would need to have a valid health or travel insurance policy that can pay. Or secondly, you would have to pay out of your own pocket. In the latter case, you could attempt to claim the cost back as part of your compensation settlement. Accident Claims UK can help with this; we can process a personal injury claim for you. Speak to one of our team on the number at the bottom of this guide to learn how.

Personal Injury Time Limits For Dutch Holiday Accidents

If you need to make a compensation claim for an injury or illness that was caused by a third party in the Netherlands, then there are certain time limits that you must make your claim within. The personal injury claims time limit that applies in your case, will depend on the circumstances of your claim, thus:

Claim Type Time Limit
You were injured while on a package holiday. 3-years
You were injured while travelling on a trip you booked yourself. Up to 5-years.
You were injured on a plane flight either flying to or from the following airports: Schiphol, Eindhoven, Maastricht, Rotterdam. 2-years.

Package Holiday Illness Or Injury Claims

If you have had an accident abroad, compensation could be available from the company that you booked your package holiday from. Every package tour vendor that operates in the UK, has to comply with specific legislation aimed at ensuring that they provide safe holidays, or a certain minimum standard of quality.

If you are injured while travelling on transport provided as part of the package, while staying in included accommodation, or whilst taking part in an activity that was included in the price of your trip, then you could be able to claim.

Accident Claims UK can help you with this when you return to the UK. However, while you are still overseas, you must inform your travel firm of the incident.

Name of tour operator
Thomas Cook

Dutch Hotel Accident Or Illness Claims

One of the more common reasons for holidaymakers to make accident claims, is due to being injured while staying in a hotel overseas. A hotel can present a myriad of potential health and safety hazards, for example:

  • Foodborne illnesses caused by food in the hotel restaurant.
  • Injuries such as electrocution, caused by faulty hotel room fittings.
  • Slips, trips and falls caused by damage floor coverings in a hotel room.
  • Accidents in the pool or gym area, caused by faulty equipment or lack of supervision.
  • Road traffic accidents whilst riding in the hotel airport shuttle.

As you can see, there are many ways a person can be injured at a hotel they are a resident of. No matter how you come to harm, Accident Claims UK should be able to help you to claim. Speak to one of our team on the number at the end of this page, so that we can get your hotel accident claim started today.

Holiday Sickness, Food Poisoning, And Restaurant Accident Claims

Another common reason for people to make holiday accident claims, is due to coming down with food poisoning or some other foodborne illness, after eating in a restaurant. Food can go bad very easily, for reasons such as:

  • Being undercooked.
  • Being left out for too long.
  • Being stored at the wrong temperature.
  • Being washed in an unclean water source.
  • Being prepared in an unhygienic kitchen.

There are many ways that you can catch food poisoning while you are on holiday. If you do, then Accident Claims UK should be able to help you make a claim. We can also assist if you have been injured in an accident in a restaurant. Check this guide for more information on this:

How to make a compensation claim for an accident in a restaurant

Slipping, Tripping, Or Falling Over

The most common of all accidents that people claim for, are slip, trip and fall accidents. These can happen anywhere, from the moment you step on to the plane to leave on holiday, until you get out of the taxi that is taking you home afterwards. These accidents are especially dangerous for the elderly, as a broken hip or pelvis is a traumatic injury, that is often fatal for elderly people. Typical hazards that can cause a slip, trip or fall could be:

  • Wet or dirty floors that should have been dealt with, or signposted as a hazard.
  • Damaged floor coverings such as a cracked tile, warped wooden floor or torn carpet.
  • Broken paving slabs or curbstones in a car park.
  • Wet floors close to the pool area of a hotel.
  • Obstructions left by cleaning or maintenance staff at a hotel.

As you can see, there really are many causes for a slip, trip or fall accident, far too many to list them all. No matter how your accident happened, Accident Claims UK should be able to help you make a claim. Speak to one of our team on the number at the bottom of this page, and they will help you to get your claim started.

Claims For Cycling Accident And Injuries In The Netherlands

Car accidents are not the most common type of RTA in Holland. Cycle accidents are. Over 80% of the population owns and regularly uses a bicycle. Some parts of major cities are only accessible on foot, or by cycle.

Tourists visiting cities such as Amsterdam, often rent a bicycle, even though they have little experience riding one on a public road. Therefore, cycle accidents involving holidaymakers are quite common. If you were injured in a cycling accident in Holland, and a third party was to blame, call Accident Claims UK on the number at the end of this guide. One of our team will go over your situation with you, and tell you how best to proceed with your claim.

RTA’s And Car Accidents In The Netherlands


Take a look at the graph above. It shows that the most common caused of road deaths in Holland are car accidents, closely followed by cycle accidents. If you are involved in a Netherlands car accident, either as the driver of a car, rider of a bicycle, whilst riding a scooter, moped, or motorcycle, or even as a pedestrian, then you could be able to make a claim if the accident was not your fault.

In fact, Accident Claims UK can help you to claim for any car accident in Europe, no matter which country you are visiting. If you speak to one of our team on the number at the end of this page, and explain how your road traffic accident happened, they will let you know how we can be of help.

You Can Use A UK Based Solicitor Or Law Firm

There really is nothing to be gained by using a legal firm in Holland to make your claim. It is much easier to deal with a legal team based in the UK, who will be just as likely to win your claim as a local solicitor would. Here at Accident Claims UK, we are experienced in processing overseas claims for our clients, and we can do the same for you. Speak to one of our team on the number below, to find out how.

Personal Injury Claims Calculator

Form of injury Seriousness Notes Compensation example
General psychiatric injuries Less severe – severe Settlements made depend on the severity of the injury. £1,350 – £101,740
Mental anguish Such as where you fear death could happen. Such as where you fear death could happen. £4,100
Partial noise-induced hearing loss Slight – severe Damage such as NIHL (noise-induced hearing loss) or the symptoms of tinnitus. £6,450 – £39,940
Minor head or minor brain injury/ injuries. Minor Minor levels of injury which you recover from. £1,940 to £11,200
A hernia (A) Your ability to work or do everyday tasks could or will be reduced. £13,080 – £21,190
A back injury Minor – severe A range of different back injuries from minor to severe. £2,150 – £141,150
A shoulder injury Minor – severe A range of different shoulder injuries from minor to severe. £2,150 – £42,110
A fracture of the clavicle Single level Such as a fracture to the clavicle bone. £4,520 – £10,730
An injury to the pelvis or to the hips Minor – severe At their most serious, these injuries may have as serious an effect at the loss of a limb. From up to £3,460 – £114,810
A hand injury Moderate Such as caused by a crush or a penetrating injury £5,110 to £11,640

We Can Carry Out Your Claim On A No Win No Fee Basis

Accident Claims UK can process your claim under a No Win No Fee agreement. When we first start working on your claim, there is no fee. As we process your claim and try and reach a settlement, there is no fee. If we don’t’ manage to win you any compensation, then there is still no fee. If we do win you a compensation payment though, we will automatically take our fee from the money we have received for you, and then give you the rest.

Why Choose Our Service?

Accident Claims UK has a proven track record of helping claimants receive compensation across the full range of claim types. We are sure that we can help you to get the compensation that you are entitled to.

Our claims service is simple to use, and very effective in getting people the maximum level of compensation possible. Check the table below, to see how our three step new claims process works.

Reach out to use my email, web chat, telephone or using our contact form. One of our team will evaluate your claim, and how best we can be of help. We will offer you the simplest, most effective way to have your claim processed.

Contact Us Our Team

Have you come to harm at the hands of a third party while visiting Holland? Do you believe that you make have a valid reason to make a compensation claim? If so, Accident Claims UK can act as your personal injury solicitor, and process a claim for you. To learn how, speak to one of our team on 0800 073 8801 today. They will go over your claim with you, then offer you some free legal advice on what your next step should be.

Helpful Information And Guides To Holiday Accident Claims

Please note, that even though there is a British Embassy The Hague, it is not open to members of the public. If you need help from the UK Government while in Holland, you will need to use the British Consulate in Amsterdam.

British Embassy Consulate General – Amsterdam

Koningslaan 44

1075 AE Amsterdam


Tel: +31 70 427 0427


Opening times: Tuesday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

The NHS has published this guide to getting medical treatment in Holland as a UK citizen:

NHS info on healthcare in Holland

Other Useful Compensation Guides